Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Thinking about relocating

I've had enough of this cesspool Reading, pa. Just want to retire and enjoy life. Thinking about Potter county, especially the Coudersport area. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Thinking about relocating

Quote Originally Posted by gp52555 View Post
    I've had enough of this cesspool Reading, pa. Just want to retire and enjoy life. Thinking about Potter county, especially the Coudersport area. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Lived in Ulysses for a while years ago. Loved it. Beautiful area. But If I could I would move back to Nc..

(Berks County)

Cesspool? Yup!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(McKean County)

I'm over in McKean Co. I am only a couple hours from anywhere you would find cesspools, but it is very quiet around here. We did get a stop light about 20 years ago, so I guess the 'big city' kinda touched us a bit. But, 5 minutes from my house in any direction and you are in the woods.

Potter county of course lives up to its name of "God's Country," and it is one of the bigger counties by land and the smallest by population in the state by far. Lot of trails and dirt roads all through the northern tier of McKean - Potter - Tioga counties. A little south of Coudersport is Cherry Springs, it has a certified dark area. Rural as rural can be, and perfect cesspool salvation....
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

Potter is a little too remote for me. I've never been impressed by coudersport personally. Check out Wellsboro, I've never lived there, but it seems like a nice little town up in that area.

(Tioga County)

Never really got into Potter County, although it is the next county over.

Overall I'd recommend getting above I-80 and finding what you like.

I live around Wellsboro and like it a lot but for the area and income possibilities, IMO the property is overpriced and the taxes are higher in this school district due to bad decisions made years ago. Also there was a mini gas boom when East Resources came in during 2008-2009 and signed up a bunch of gas leases and sunk a bunch of half ass gas wells to create a salable property they sold onto Shell. Reality set in in regards to the true potential of the gas wells, but despite much real estate sitting unsold at inflated prices, a lot of people think they have something valuable when they don't, so property values are still a bit inflated.

If you buy property north of I-80, depending on the area you will need to educate yourself on gas leases.

(Tioga County)

My wife, son and myself relocated to Wellsboro last year (property bought in 2006, house built in 2010) from the cesspool known as Philly. We all have jobs (I'm part-time ) and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. I spent time in Potter every summer since I was 6 months old and used to hunt out of a camp there when I was older. Now I cruise Potter, Tioga, Bradford and Lycoming counties on my Harley and my son and I hit the range whenever we get a chance.

(Tioga County)

We will welcome you but just remember why you're moving and leave the big city ideas behind you. Seen too many people move here from the cesspools of Southern Pa. and then try to change things to what they had back in the cities.

(Tioga County)

I live in Elkland, Tioga County, PA Small town living. A lot of people that live here commute to NYS to work. Bigger work places are about a 30 min. drive. I'm retired so it doesn't matter to me. Small town living makes it a longer drive to bigger city stuff. Malls and such. It is quieter and la lot less crime. I open carry here with no issues.

Add:
    Elkland has it's own open air range. I think the dues were just raised to $20 a year from $15. Life membership is 150 some people qualify for a free life membership.
    Last edited by rwilson452; November 20th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Tioga County)

The yearly dues are $25 and a lifetime is $250. If you have been a member in good standing for 10 years and 65 years of age you can get a free lifetime. The range has 10 outdoor benches and a pistol range with 6 places to shoot with 6 steel plates placed 10 and 12 yards from the bench. On the rifle range which has target butts out t0 300 yards we have steel gongs placed at 200, 250 and 300 yards. We will have to replace the gongs next year as the ones we have were donated and made of mild steel which has led to the steel having holes and major pits from all the shooting that has been done to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast