Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default CZ Scorpion Evo Pistol

I've been considering buying an Evo, turning it into an SBR, and possibly buying a suppressor (when I can afford to buy a suppressor). Currently, a website has what seems to be a good deal on the Evo. The pistol comes with a folding stock, carbine length hand guard, and a flash suppressor (faux suppressor). The package is selling at roughly $875 + shipping. From my understanding, an SBR is considered a firearm in Pennsylvania and can be carried--loaded--in a vehicle, correct? If I could not legally carry it in a vehicle in PA, I probably wouldn't spread my wallet thin buying one. I believe that individual states differ in what they will allow people to do. Are there any good sites that provide a good synopsis of each state's laws regarding NFA items?

Also, I have absolutely no knowledge of suppressors. I really don't like the idea of paying a $200 tax per suppressor (I really don't have an income to afford that). Are multi-caliber suppressors available, or are they just not really an item that people with low/medium incomes can enjoy?

Below is a photo of the pistol package I'm considering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: CZ Scorpion Evo Pistol

The scorpion evo has a 7.7" barrel, overall length of the sbr is about 1/4" past 26" and per PA UFA, SBR/SBS are supposed to be under 26". For the overall length, I'm going off the federal definition since I couldn't find one in the UFA(someone correct me if I'm wrong). You could cut a tiny bit of the barrel thread, shave off some of the factory stock rubber, or choose a smaller stock like the manticore slider option. If PA determines overall length of the stock not extended, it's about 24".

As for cans, there are some that "do it all" but won't perform exceedingly in one category. Best way to do it is to have at least have 1 pistol and 1 rifle can. Since I shoot 9mm most, I'm going w the rugged obsidian 9. They make a .45 acp version which covers pistol calibers up till .45 obvisouly. I'd recommend that or the dead air ghost .45. They both are high quality and modular take down cans that would work w .22lr and 300blk subsonic as well

(Berks County)

If your plan is to SBR it, I personally wouldn't bother with buying one with a brace. Just the EVO is running a bit over $700 and the 922r stock kits have fallen below $200.

I'm not exactly sure what WildBill is saying about length, because the NFA definition of an SBR is a barrel less than 16" OR OAL less than 26".

I think the performance drop in multi-caliber suppressors is pretty negligible. IIRC, it's something like 2-3 db increase using a .45 can for 9mm. I didn't want to spend money on several either, and was fortunate enough to find a 9mm Liberty Mystic second hand (not actually used though) since that's the largest caliber I use. It works very well for 300 BO also.
    Last edited by esh21167; November 12th, 2017 at 07:38 PM.

(Washington County)

Buy it. My evo eats everything. Shoots straight, one of my favorite firearms to date.
    There will be other things too look into. Look into HB Industry and yeti wurks. I had to do a safety delete on the right side, if you are right handed it will dig into your finger. Extended charging handle because there is only so many times you want to skin your fingers.

(Wyoming County)

I'm not a NFA guru, and there are some real sharp folks here if they see your post.

That being said- yes you can get a .45 cal can and shoot .40/ 10mm, 9mm through it etc. The down side would be it's size. Bigger bullets usually mean bigger cans and that may/may not fit inside the barrel shroud/hand guard. You will have to do your homework if you want the long hand guard and a can as depicted in your photo.

Now, just my opinion on your NFA/SBR/Pistol question. The SBR would allow you to carry it like a pistol in your car. It's still going to be homework determining which states it will be legal in, and it will be more homework if it is a SBR, because then you will have to do paperwork to the ATF just to transport it out-of-state.

IF you are going to SBR the CZ then IMHO don't waste your money on that arm brace. It's damn near the cost of your $200 stamp right there, and then you'll end up buying a true shoulder stock in addition to having that brace? *(last I looked at them they were $190?)
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    If your plan is to SBR it, I personally wouldn't bother with buying one with a brace. Just the EVO is running a bit over $700 and the 922r stock kits have fallen below $200.

I'm not exactly sure what WildBill is saying about length, because the NFA definition of an SBR is a barrel less than 16" OR OAL less than 26".

I think the performance drop in multi-caliber suppressors is pretty negligible. IIRC, it's something like 2-3 db increase using a .45 can for 9mm. I didn't want to spend money on several either, and was fortunate enough to find a 9mm Liberty Mystic second hand (not actually used though) since that's the largest caliber I use. It works very well for 300 BO also.
    Under section 6102 of the UFA
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Esh, I think you're correct. I missed the or part in the UFA and was reading it as if it had "and" in the wording meaning the sbr had to be less than 16" for the barrel AND OAL under 26". My mistake.

You won't be able to get a can over 1.6" in diameter under the handguard, maybe slightly larger but it be pushing it.
    Last edited by Wildbill990; November 12th, 2017 at 09:29 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm really tossing the idea around. I have never handled one. I was just thinking the extended rail may help with holding it. Being that I never handled one, I don't know how true that thought is. And, it would help to put the extra money towards a stamp rather than the stock--which I'd end up selling (which is usually a hassle).

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    Buy it. My evo eats everything. Shoots straight, one of my favorite firearms to date.
    There will be other things too look into. Look into HB Industry and yeti wurks. I had to do a safety delete on the right side, if you are right handed it will dig into your finger. Extended charging handle because there is only so many times you want to skin your fingers.
    I'm a leftie, but I have read that the safety digs into your hand. I am looking at stock options. I like the look of the factory stock, but read it sits low for using a red dot. I've also read about some type of 922 compliance for parts for some reason. Some people state the 922 is only for manufacturers. IDk if the compliance parts are sales gimmicks for parts suppliers or necessities.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far. I'm really tossing the idea around. I have never handled one. I was just thinking the extended rail may help with holding it. Being that I never handled one, I don't know how true that thought is. And, it would help to put the extra money towards a stamp rather than the stock--which I'd end up selling (which is usually a hassle).
    I have the factory setup as far as hand guards and with my suppressor (12 oz.) it doesn't feel front heavy.

I'm a leftie, but I have read that the safety digs into your hand. I am looking at stock options. I like the look of the factory stock, but read it sits low for using a red dot. I've also read about some type of 922 compliance for parts for some reason. Some people state the 922 is only for manufacturers. IDk if the compliance parts are sales gimmicks for parts suppliers or necessities.
    There is a left or right side safety delete part for about $12. Some people just dremel off the tab on the side they don't want. The stock kit includes enough parts to be 922r compliant anyway, so I just used them to err on the side of caution. One note on that though: the original US made 922r disconnector is prone to failure. Mine broke and CZ sent me a new one free of charge.

CZ is also providing a free trigger assembly to replace the welded ones that prevented trigger upgrades. http://cz-usa.com/scorpiontriggerswap/

I'd be more than happy to let you handle and shoot my SBR. Problem is, when you do, you'll buy one.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast