Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Moving to the Harrisburg area

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Let's not forget to give him the lesson on how not to pass a buggy.

If you shoot the horses in the ass with a bb gun on the way by they go faster.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If you shoot the horses in the ass with a bb gun on the way by they go faster.
    We had an asshole actually shoot a horse not too long ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shooter...y-gets-prison/
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    We had an asshole actually shoot a horse not too long ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shooter...y-gets-prison/
    Asshole, all he had to do was hit it in the sphincter with a bb.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Welcome. As a native Southerner (SE Arkansas, could toss a rock 'cross the river to MS) myself, I suspect you'll like the place and find more things familiar and comfortable than not. One of my favorite things is that you can easily be in a 'suburban' area within 10 mins of downtown, and even a semi-rural area within 15-20.

I live in the Hburg area and have for about 15 years. I moved here from the northeast 'megalopolis' and never looked back. Best thing we ever did.

Feel free to get in touch about any questions, specifics about where to live, how different zones vary, etc. as you approach the move.

You may encounter some dubiousness when moving in. I know it took a solid 10 years before I wasn't thought of as a 'furriner' by most, and there's a good dose of folks 'round here that will -never- accept me because I didn't grow up here and/or go to high school with them. I'm still not allowed to join the monthly 'poker night' in my neighborhood because I'm not a graduate of the local high school. Yeah, I get that, even if I don't like it.

I absolutely get that many folks here are suspect of 'outsiders' moving in, especially those from states beginning with "New," Too many of them come here but then wanna make it just like the ***hole they left. But I suspect coming from MS versus parts northeast, you'll find it pretty comfy and familiar. And bonding with the gun-owning community won't hurt one bit either!

FWIW, the quickest piece of advice I can give you is this: If the mailing address of a place you're looking is actually "Harrisburg, PA"... don't. Many very nice places to be within 10-20 mins of your wife's job (assuming it's in Hburg proper) that aren't Hburg.
    In Hampden? It's that way up here in my neck of the woods. Everybody knows everybody to the point of it being a bit weird. We're looking at moving back down your way after our 16 year experiment up here in the boonies.

OP--Hampden is a great township. Tax rate is very low and the services are outstanding. There are some nice places in Dauphin with Harrisburg addresses but be wary of the taxes. Some of the townships have outrageous tax rates.

I'm up here in the boonies of Perry County, about 40 minutes out of Harrisburg on 40 acres. I'm tired of the upkeep and I'm ready to return to suburban life with the convenience of everything 5 minutes away. Perry County is great if you're looking for country. We're out of the "emissions inspection" area around Harrisburg. Tax rates are low and property is reasonable.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    You may encounter some dubiousness when moving in. I know it took a solid 10 years before I wasn't thought of as a 'furriner' by most
    We may not be "Southern friendly," but if you make a consistent effort, most people will treat you right.

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Every mile away from H burg, the quality of life increases.
    THIS IS SO TRUE.

Stay out of Harrisburg as much as possible and when you do go there, carry!

Stay on the southern side of Harrisburg, when you go north in the Hershey area or just outside in Camp Hill...taxes will be sky high. I'd recommend something south of New Cumberland here in York County. Dover/Dillsburg/Mechanicsburg area is great to me.

Welcome to PA (soon!). It's great to have someone who understands freedom joining us rather than another leach from New Jersey.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Welcome to PAFOA!

Pa will be a bit of culture shock to you after the south.

Y'all is Yinz in western Pa, and soda is pop

College football is about 1/3 as important as the NFL..
    Biggest adjustment here is that people are clammed up. They won't invite you over to have a beer or grill out. People often go to church then leave immediately afterwards. They can be sociable while you're doing what you're doing, but then afterwards it's like you didn't exist. They're busy but they don't do anything. It's irritating.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

Welcome to the area. You will love it. I came from one of the New states but the western part where it is much more like central PA.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Biggest adjustment here is that people are clammed up. They won't invite you over to have a beer or grill out. People often go to church then leave immediately afterwards. They can be sociable while you're doing what you're doing, but then afterwards it's like you didn't exist. They're busy but they don't do anything. It's irritating.
    It takes about twenty years before you're no longer considered an outsider. They won't come to you, you've got to make the extra effort to show them that you're one of them, running for borough council, serving with the volunteer fire company, stuff like that.

(Cumberland County)

Welcome....I have lived in central Pa all of my life (but have worked all over the country). The Harrisburg area is split in the middle by the Susquehanna river (great bass fishing) and people refer to the two halves as the East Shore and the West Shore. The actual city of Harrisburg is on the East Shore. The West Shore is more of the "suburbs" and has many great areas. As others have said Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg and Dillsburg as all nice areas. It is somewhat confusing as far as school districts because towns do not align with school districts. The Harrisburg area has a small urban area but is nice because you can be downtown and 20 minutes later can be out in the woods. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to PM me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast