Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Moving to the Harrisburg area

Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    My wife is taking a new position in Harrisburg, so we’ll be moving somewhere in that vicinity after January. I probably won’t make it up there until March. We are from the MS Delta so I’m sure it will be an adjustment. I’m a retired welding instructor, and currently manage Bills Custom Automatics in Shelby, MS. The shop specializes in custom 1911’s, custom bolt guns, and custom AR’s. I will be looking for work when I arrive. I’m also an avid hunter/shooter. I would love to make some contacts in the area. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to our new endeavor!
    Welcome. As a native Southerner (SE Arkansas, could toss a rock 'cross the river to MS) myself, I suspect you'll like the place and find more things familiar and comfortable than not. One of my favorite things is that you can easily be in a 'suburban' area within 10 mins of downtown, and even a semi-rural area within 15-20.

I live in the Hburg area and have for about 15 years. I moved here from the northeast 'megalopolis' and never looked back. Best thing we ever did.

Feel free to get in touch about any questions, specifics about where to live, how different zones vary, etc. as you approach the move.

You may encounter some dubiousness when moving in. I know it took a solid 10 years before I wasn't thought of as a 'furriner' by most, and there's a good dose of folks 'round here that will -never- accept me because I didn't grow up here and/or go to high school with them. I'm still not allowed to join the monthly 'poker night' in my neighborhood because I'm not a graduate of the local high school. Yeah, I get that, even if I don't like it.

I absolutely get that many folks here are suspect of 'outsiders' moving in, especially those from states beginning with "New," Too many of them come here but then wanna make it just like the ***hole they left. But I suspect coming from MS versus parts northeast, you'll find it pretty comfy and familiar. And bonding with the gun-owning community won't hurt one bit either!

FWIW, the quickest piece of advice I can give you is this: If the mailing address of a place you're looking is actually "Harrisburg, PA"... don't. Many very nice places to be within 10-20 mins of your wife's job (assuming it's in Hburg proper) that aren't Hburg.
    DGAF

Thanks KCJones! Actually we have been looking on the west side of the river in Cumberland Co. Even the first 2 months will be spent there in a corporate apt. We’ll probably be looking for a townhouse or house to rent until we get the lay of the land so to speak. Any suggestions and or tips are greatly appreciated!

(Lehigh County)

Just FYI if you want to start looking at the local news for the area: http://www.pennlive.com/
    The local rag is the typical leftist newspaper, but you can get a feel for what goes on and where.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Just FYI if you want to start looking at the local news for the area: http://www.pennlive.com/
    The local rag is the typical leftist newspaper, but you can get a feel for what goes on and where.
    I would trade road time for crappy expensive neighborhood every day of the week.

Every mile away from H burg, the quality of life increases.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    'Squiters aren't as bad here as they are down there and I don't think it's as hot and humid either, though we do get heat and humidity, just not as bad. POOFA people are cool, people you encounter on the street maybe, maybe not, we do have a lot of assholes here but not as many or as bad as New Jersey. Welcome to PA and POOFA, I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Squiters? You trying for skeeters?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Squiters? You trying for skeeters?
    Not the same thing?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    Thanks KCJones! Actually we have been looking on the west side of the river in Cumberland Co. Even the first 2 months will be spent there in a corporate apt. We’ll probably be looking for a townhouse or house to rent until we get the lay of the land so to speak. Any suggestions and or tips are greatly appreciated!
    I spent my first 3 months here in corporate housing before the wife & kids came down too. That's fine.

Generally agree with where you're already headed, e.g. the 'west shore'.

I'm now living in my 3rd house in the area. 1st was just a bad idea all around. Wrong area, too big: I came in with "NY Money" in my head and overbought plus in a 'prestige' area where we were the youngest folks in the neighborhood by a solid 20 years (and we're not young, early-40's at the time). Moved after a year. 2nd house was in the right vicinity (about 1/2 mile from where I live now) but still too big: walked into my 'media room' one day, wondered why all the remote batteries were dead, and realized it was 'cuz I'd not been in there for over a year... Took us nearly 2 years to admit mistake on that one. Third house (well over a decade now) just right. Good mix of folks, good size of house, etc.

Wish I'd rented for a year or so first, and we'd likely have ended up in the right place first time. So taking some time to 'get the lay of the land' before buying an excellent idea indeed.

Key thing to consider is schools: impacts both taxes and property values. If you -don't- have school-age kids (and kinda sounds like maybe you don't) some great areas open up. E.g. on the West Shore, many would say the "East Pennsboro" school district is not the best-rated or regarded versus nearby districts like CV, Camp Hill and/or Mechanicsburg. But if you don't care, then there are some amazing homes in lovely areas at relatively good prices there... e.g. look at "Floribunda" where my guesstimate is you get 30% more house for the same price... Or the same house for 30% less as fits your needs. I live in the "CV" school district, but I'm sure-as-heck looking at maybe moving to Floribunda once my kids are done with school. Cut my tax bill by 25% and buy the equivalent house for 30% less too. Will my resale value be commensurately lower? Yup. My 'estate' can worry about that.
    Last edited by KCJones; November 13th, 2017 at 01:09 AM.
    DGAF

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

FWIW, the quickest piece of advice I can give you is this: If the mailing address of a place you're looking is actually "Harrisburg, PA"... don't. Many very nice places to be within 10-20 mins of your wife's job (assuming it's in Hburg proper) that aren't Hburg.
    I am going to say, not necessarily accurate. I have a Harrisburg address for almost 18 months and it is very nice, Chambers Hill area. I will admit that having the H-burg address made me think for a bit but I am not in the city nor is the city getting tax money from me.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Susquehanna County)

Welcome and you will need to adjust..

Oh and first day of deer rifle season is a holiday in most parts of the state

Harrisburg is not overly large and you can be deep in the country in 20-30 minutes.
    Outside of the urban sprawl keeps your eyes peeled on Sundays for them Amish buggies
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Welcome and you will need to adjust..

Oh and first day of deer rifle season is a holiday in most parts of the state

Harrisburg is not overly large and you can be deep in the country in 20-30 minutes.
    Outside of the urban sprawl keeps your eyes peeled on Sundays for them Amish buggies
    Let's not forget to give him the lesson on how not to pass a buggy.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast