Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Can I carry my dead step dad's Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I know in my family where there isn’t much of anything it goes something like this : “Anything happens to me, you get all my guns when I die and the cordless tool kit and my truck”.
    That's usually what the family members SAY happened..."one time, when it was just Pop and me with no witnesses around...he said I could have all his guns when he died."

The reality is that family members always descend like rabid wolves and claim that the brand-new 60" panel TV "has sentimental value to me". And there's never any cash in the house. And everything worth more than $20 "was promised to me".

Bullshit.

Make a Will.

Don't leave it for your greedy sister to find, because if she'll get more through Intestacy, that Will is never going to see the light of day. Seriously, if Dad finds out that you disinherited him and left everything to your girlfriend, that Will is going to the shredder and Dad's going to play dumb.

Leave the Will with a trusted friend, or the person who gets the most out of the Will. Someone who will make sure that your wishes are followed. DO NOT place it in your bank safe deposit box; nobody gets in there until AFTER an estate is raised and a Personal Representative is appointed, so that's not the place to stick your instructions on who should be Personal Representative; if your greedy brother manages to get the bank to open the box, guess what happens to the Will if it's inconvenient?

Use a lawyer for the Will if you can, but at least use one of the Web templates for a Will, and get it notarized, make it a "self-proving Will".

Trust me on this.

Also, do your Executor a favor and make a list of all your bank accounts and IRA's and investment properties and major debts. I've told all of my Will clients this for years, just jot down the high points on a separate piece of paper and slip it into the same envelope as the Will. You will be remembered fondly forever.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That's usually what the family members SAY happened..."one time, when it was just Pop and me with no witnesses around...he said I could have all his guns when he died."
    And since he was a bit senile, he told each of his kids the same thing in turn, so they all heard it, just the receiver changed!-
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

The reality is that family members always descend like rabid wolves and claim that the brand-new 60" panel TV "has sentimental value to me". And there's never any cash in the house. And everything worth more than $20 "was promised to me".

Bullshit.

Make a Will.

Don't leave it for your greedy sister to find, because if she'll get more through Intestacy, that Will is never going to see the light of day. Seriously, if Dad finds out that you disinherited him and left everything to your girlfriend, that Will is going to the shredder and Dad's going to play dumb.

Leave the Will with a trusted friend, or the person who gets the most out of the Will. Someone who will make sure that your wishes are followed. DO NOT place it in your bank safe deposit box; nobody gets in there until AFTER an estate is raised and a Personal Representative is appointed, so that's not the place to stick your instructions on who should be Personal Representative; if your greedy brother manages to get the bank to open the box, guess what happens to the Will if it's inconvenient?

Use a lawyer for the Will if you can, but at least use one of the Web templates for a Will, and get it notarized, make it a "self-proving Will".

Trust me on this.

Also, do your Executor a favor and make a list of all your bank accounts and IRA's and investment properties and major debts. I've told all of my Will clients this for years, just jot down the high points on a separate piece of paper and slip it into the same envelope as the Will. You will be remembered fondly forever.
    Don’t get me wrong, I agree. Family and especially friends and their families I’ve witnessed these discussions. The grands or the father saying just that, “When I go” this is your’s, you get this and so on.

My ex wife and her sisters would be taking an inventory at my former in laws each Christmas Eve. They were like vultures arguing about the dry sink and the Princess Di Franklin Mint collectible plates. I’m looking at Mom in law and Dad in law with sympathy.

I know in my own family when Mom and Dad die, my sister that rarely calls or visits them will swoop in as the oldest and take charge. Grabbing what she “wants”.

Write it down. It’s not that difficult

(Erie County)

Don’t get me wrong, I agree. Family and especially friends and their families I’ve witnessed these discussions. The grands or the father saying just that, “When I go” this is your’s, you get this and so on.

My ex wife and her sisters would be taking an inventory at my former in laws each Christmas Eve. They were like vultures arguing about the dry sink and the Princess Di Franklin Mint collectible plates. I’m looking at Mom in law and Dad in law with sympathy.

I know in my own family when Mom and Dad die, my sister that rarely calls or visits them will swoop in as the oldest and take charge. Grabbing what she “wants”.

Write it down. It’s not that difficult
    Have your parents make an irrevocable trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Indiana County)

You can file a copy of the will at the County Court House.

(Washington County)

Perhaps it would be more helpful if we attempt to answer the man's question, rather than pontificating on the merits of having a will and the dastardly intentions of our greedy siblings.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Perhaps it would be more helpful if we attempt to answer the man's question, rather than pontificating on the merits of having a will and the dastardly intentions of our greedy siblings.
    Go for it

(Washington County)

Go for it

Alright then. This seems rational to me. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Not a lawyer...But...I assume your mother is still alive? No will= what's his becomes hers. She can gift to you since you are her child. Wait for more answers, but I see no reason why that would be a problem.

Again, totally not a lawyer. Also, I assume that your mother and step father are/were pa residents.

More will chime in.

-Zach

(Berks County)

If there was no will, how did he "leave" you anything?
    He went away so he couldn't take it with him so he leave it. See dat. He died in testical.

Sorry, can't help myself sometime.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Did you shove them off a cliff yet?
    Boats and lakes, boats and lakes. Hey, great idea. My sock puppet's name should be Boatsnlakes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast