Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Can I carry my dead step dad's Glock?

I have several of my step-dad's handguns. He left them to my mother who gifted them to me. Legally it's all good in my case. The guns weren't specifically mentioned in his will but being she was his spouse they automatically went to her, and as my parent she could legally give them to me. In reality it went something like this,- he died, a few days later she told me "I don't want these, take what you want", and I left with them. This all took place in Indiana (everyone's residence at the time). Op, your situation would be different for two reasons, "1", your mom was not married so it really wasn't your "step-dad", and "B" the guns didn't come from your mom, they went between "an unrelated man" and you.
    In my case I have since brought them to PA and have sold a couple of them with no issues at all. My biggest concern is that they will not show up in the PA "sales database" at all and if someone tracks the history of them who knows what will come up. The ones I kept were actually bought by the police department he worked for and then "given" to him when he retired, they were his duty and off-duty guns that were department issue. As far as I know the last paperwork done on them would put them with the Shively KY Police Dept. I've considered transferring at least the one I carry, from me to me.
    Last edited by ray h; November 12th, 2017 at 11:11 PM.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Colt View Post
    Yes he gave it to me before he died. I was in possession of it for about a year-and-a-half before he passed. Unfortunately they were not married, they were together for a long time but never tied the knot. He had kids from a previous marriage that ended up with the money from his bank accounts but didn't want anything he owned. So what I'm asking is if I were to ever carry his gun could it be an issue? Obviously it's not a stolen gun or anything like that so I'm not really sure.
    I think it's an issue because it may not be stolen but you did come by it illegally.
    The Hostler

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Colt View Post
    So my stepfather left me his Glock 26. I carry a Glock 27 and I have my carry permit of course. He is not alive so I doubt I can transfer it to myself. He also never left a will for anything. I know you can carry someone else's gun and it's not a problem but what if the person is not alive?
    You have a G27...G26 & G27 use the same frame. Strip the frame of said G26 and put internals in G27 frame, then slap the G26 slide assy on. G26 mags also work in G27's. Since frame is the firearm you will still be using your own.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234