Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: OSP stopped me...

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    In Ohio, if you don't inform, you're breaking the law...period. There is no ands, ifs, or buts about it...it's the law in Ohio. I followed the law by informing, and the stop went well. When you get cocky and think you're going to pull the wool over the officer's eyes and you get caught...you're day/week/month has been ruined. I'd rather follow the law and have the law on my side, than to break the law on firearms, and have it against me. As it was, I had already broke the law by speeding...not following additional laws could cause a few days in jail. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to risk losing my rights by acting like I'm above the law and better than others.
    I respect where youre coming from, but I dont think he meant it as in "Im above the law".
    He just feels as though the benefits of risking it over a possible confrontation with a LEO .

At least thats what I got from it.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    In Ohio, if you don't inform, you're breaking the law...period. There is no ands, ifs, or buts about it...it's the law in Ohio. I followed the law by informing, and the stop went well. When you get cocky and think you're going to pull the wool over the officer's eyes and you get caught...you're day/week/month has been ruined. I'd rather follow the law and have the law on my side, than to break the law on firearms, and have it against me. As it was, I had already broke the law by speeding...not following additional laws could cause a few days in jail. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to risk losing my rights by acting like I'm above the law and better than others.
    As I said, everyone's got to make their own decisions in life. You made your choice and its not my place to decide if it was the correct one for you. I had thought this situation over, prior to reading this thread, and I have made my own choice. You don't have to approve of it. That is irrelevant.

(Adams County)

I don't know what the Ohio Highway Patrol teaches about dealing with people with out-of-state carry permits, but if what happened to me is typical I would be very careful in dealing with Officer Friendly anywhere in Ohio. Right after Ohio extended reciprocity to Pa LTCF holders, I wanted to find out what to expect if I got stopped by a LEO in Ohio. To shorten the story, I was directed to a Highway Patrolman who was at the event I was attending. So I asked what would happen if I got pulled over and produced an out-of-state carry permit. He replied that a check would be made to see if the permit was issued by a reciprocating state. Then I specifically asked "Is that a five minute process or a five hour process?" I thought that was a legitimate question, because I wanted to see if I would potentially end up with a regular traffic stop or a night in jail. Instead of an answer responsive to my question I got a boatload of attitude that I shouldn't be carrying a loaded firearm and that firearms should be kept separate from the ammunition.
    And don't take my word for it. Go to Google and type in "Canton, Ohio cop abuses citizen" and watch the video of the cop in Canton, Ohio who was caught on film verbally abusing and threatening a citizen who was trying to present his carry permit as required by Ohio law. There is nothing to be gained in engaging in pleasantries once you're been given the ticket. Just ask if you're free to go.

(Bucks County)

After he chit chatted with you he went and looked in the "database" to see if there was a 1911 registered to you.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by punxsutawneypete View Post
    .......Go to Google and type in "Canton, Ohio cop abuses citizen" and watch the video of the cop in Canton, Ohio who was caught on film verbally abusing and threatening a citizen who was trying to present his carry permit as required by Ohio law.....
    I have watched that video and the citizen did not offer the information at first interaction as required by law.. the officer went WAY overboard.. but Ohio law dictates that one must immediately notify the officer.

Some have said they will not notify the office, and that is a choice they are making.
    I don't have great luck and all I can think of is the officer seeing it somehow or telling me to get out because of whatever.. then it is TOO late and they do not play games about failure to notify
    Last edited by Parrisk; November 14th, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I have watched that video and the citizen did not offer the information at first interaction as required by law.. the officer went WAY overboard.. but Ohio law dictates that one must immediately notify the officer.
    He had it in his hand and the cop never let him complete a sentence. Short of telling the already abusive cop to STFU, what were his options?

Stay the F out of Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    And you may end up in the back seat of mine.
    Freak
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by TangoBravo605 View Post
    Stay the F out of Ohio?
    'Twould be nice, but just as those of you in the east w NJ and Md, here on the other side of Da Burg, Ohio is lots closer to some attractions than if you go further east.

Rogers fleamarket, Daveys Jeeps, Bordman Mall, 4wd Hardware are all within 20 to 30 min away. Anything comparible in Pa is on the other side of Pittsburgh.

I know as a cdl holder, Ohio is a bad state to have to deal with the state police in.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    'Twould be nice, but just as those of you in the east w NJ and Md, here on the other side of Da Burg, Ohio is lots closer to some attractions than if you go further east.

Rogers fleamarket, Daveys Jeeps, Bordman Mall, 4wd Hardware are all within 20 to 30 min away. Anything comparible in Pa is on the other side of Pittsburgh.

I know as a cdl holder, Ohio is a bad state to have to deal with the state police in.
    Have you encountered the attitude that I described?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast