Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default OSP stopped me...

I was traveling back to PA from a visit to western Ohio, and while cruising through Columbus, I got carried away and ended up speeding in a construction zone. When the lights went on, I pulled to the side, and told my wife to pull her LTCF out, just like I was. When the officer came to the passenge side window we informed him that we were both armed, and licensed to do so. He looked our LTCF over, handed them back and thanked us for informing him, which is law in Ohio. He didn't disarm us or anything like that. I ended up getting a ticket, rightfully so, but he lowered the amount and told me that he wasn't going to mark it as a construction zone, which is a double fine in Ohio.

At the end of the day, we followed the law concerning traffic stops and informing the police, and nothing happened. After he gave me my ticket, we BS'd a bit about guns. He asked us what firearms we were carrying, and he told me that he has the same 1911 as mine, and how much he enjoys shooting it. Come to find out, the man is from a town not too far from my hometown of Kettering, Ohio...small world.

Like I said, I was ticketed, and rightfully so...but since we followed the law about informing the officer, nothing more happened. After reading horror stories out there, I was a bit nervous about a stop in Ohio, especially from a state boy. In the end, it was nothing more than a normal stop.

He did thank us for exercising our 2nd Amendment right, and said that he hopes to run into me at the range near our hometowns sometime. Super nice OSP officer and person...and cool for not hammering me with the ticket. $172 is bad enough...double that would have been harder to swallow.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Fayette County)

Default Re: OSP stopped me...

You mean the officer didnt taze you and your passenger and shoot your dog?
    Damn, you freemasons sure look out for eachother.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Elk County)

Ohio has no state police. It's Ohio Highway Patrol.

When I lived in OH I once made the mistake of saying "state police" in front of coworkers and they about jumped down my throat, screaming "Highway Patrol!"

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Do you understand that police "small talk" is actually an interogation ? Do you really think he is interested in talking about guns ? Most likely a fishing trip.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Do you understand that police "small talk" is actually an interogation ? Do you really think he is interested in talking about guns ? Most likely a fishing trip.
    Not always true, and my roadside encounters with our PSP have shown that, or maybe I'm just lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

So, in Ohio, don't ever say State Police; it's sorta like saying pistol permit in POOFALAND. Got it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    So, in Ohio, don't ever say State Police; it's sorta like saying concealed carry permit in POOFALAND. Got it.

FIFY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

That's right he should have had a Masonic emblem on the car. Maybe it would have saved the 172 bucks

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is how I see it too. Tight lipped, polite, nothing said that doesn't need to be said. The Po Leece aren't always my enemies but I know that they are not my friends.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lawrence County)

I got pulled over once in OH by the Highway Patrol before I became a deputy. Didn't realize that the speed limit dropped from 55 down to 45, and got tagged. I signaled that I was going to pull over, stopped in a parking lot, informed the officer that I was carrying, and asked he would like to proceed. He didn't disarm me or have me step out; he just asked where the firearm was located and told me not to reach for it. I handed over the documents he needed, and from there he informed me that I was speeding, pointed out that the speed limit changed about half a mile back, and asked if I had noticed. He could tell from the look on my face that I hadn't, and I owned up to it still being my fault. He looked both amused and surprised, and said he'd be back in a minute.

I figure I'm going to get a ticket; instead I just got a written warning that said 'Please slow down'. We shook hands, I told him to be safe, and he made sure that the lane was clear for me to pull out. It's amazing how much better things go when you're civil.

ETA: Not every conversation is a fishing trip. LEOs are human, and sometimes we just like to chat about things we have in common with others.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast