Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Personal Locator beacons

I received my new Locator Beacon today and just finished the registration online.

They will send me a sticker to place on the beacon.

I will return the SPOT to REI

Looks like very simple to operate. I'll read on how to test it and hopefully will not activate it.
    If I hear a helicopter hovering, I'm shutting off my lights and not answering the door.

Hopefully, never have to use it.

As far as inviting a new hunter along as mentioned, I don't think Ive ever had anyone approach me to let me know they were interested ( aside from my nephew who I said gladly to but he never followed through. I called a few times to see if he still had interest but it just went away).
    It's almost the same as people interested in a bit of handgun fundamentals training untill you try to pin down an actual day and time to take them. Even me supplying the guns and ammo isnt enough of a draw to get commitments.

In this regard, a few things did happen.
    A buddy who I took to a range actually took a one day handgun class after running him through a couple hours.
    My daughter went to the range twice with me. Cool. I'll spend for her to get into a Randy Cain class in springtime.
    A coworker approached me at a retirement dinner for a mutual friend. He said he has been meaning to ask me to run him through the function of his new Glock19. I told him my club was only 2 miles away and we could go right after the function.
    He said he had no gun. I just happened to be carrying a G19 and had 100 rounds in the car. We went. He was like a kid in a candy store and had a really great time and did pretty well.

MY hunting camp buddy has a couple kiddos who both went hunting as soon as they were old enough.
    He took one, I took the other. They didn't know me well and my young man actually could have shot a doe coming thorough some brush. He was about 15 feet from me and I kept whispering for him to shoot. He didn't and the doe went away. I moved over to him, asked if he heard me and why he didn't press the trigger. His response was that his instructor was very clear that he had to have a shot by seeing the whole entire deer and since the doe was partly obstructed by some brush, he didn't shoot.
    I said OK but I believed that the instructor was merely trying to impress on them to be sure of their target and in many many cases, you will not see an entire deer. I said be sure of what you are shooting at and beyond. Once you're sure, align the sights, good sight alignment and good sight picture and press through the trigger evenly till the shot breaks.

Later, I asked my friend if his 2 boys were comfortable hunting with me.
    Buddy cracked me up by saying they spoke of me like a god.
    One son no longer hunts. The one that didn't shoot while with me has a couple doe now.
    It really is cool. I'll see him in a week.

Sorry to get off topic but I believe this thread is about done and wanted to reflect on the one time I was able to take a new hunter out.
    We refer to close friends and family as 2 groups. Deer hunters and Deer slayers. That young man became the latter.
    His much older brother has yet to get a deer. My greeting to him to this day is "Hey there deer hunter, hows it going?"
    To his younger brother, I greet him with "Hello there Mr. Deer slayer, How's it going?".

Camp fun. I started gathering and packing today.

Thanks for input guys.
    Good luck and don't get lost out there. Ha.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Are those things any good for finding your spouse in Walmart after you split up to go look at what's in the ammo case?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Thought that application requires a blue light?
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Thought that application requires a blue light?
    Chiefs can use red IIRC.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234