Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Personal Locator beacons

I'm going to buy a personal locator beacon of some type.
    I believe I'm settled on a ResQLink PIB.
    I don't care about being able to text or communicate with others.
    At age 68, I still hunt in areas I know might be difficult for someone to find me if I needed help.

This unit has no subscriptions, has test capabilities and is advertised that if you use it, that will replace it.
    Sounds like a one and done unit.

Does anyone else have one or some other type of device?

Thoughts? Input either positive or negative?
    I carry material to build fire and could probably do a night in the woods if I could move around to gather what I'd need.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Personal Locator beacons

Seems like a very popular brand. Specs say battery needs replaced after six years and the (mandatory) registration must be repeated every two years.

(Allegheny County)

Good for you for being proactive in regards to one of life's "what ifs".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

IDK about that particular brand. It looks interesting. You have to keep the mind set that no one may be coming and you could be stuck for hours or days until rescued. In an old forum where I was a member two guys saved themselves with a SPOT after capsizing a small boat in rough weather. The boat sank and they were in freezing temps. One of them had a fire starter and that kept them alive. Rescue was several hours away. Luckily one or both had the proper equipment on them when the boat went down.

I always carried a road flare when I was younger to start an emergency fire. Now I have a portable radio, cell phone and a waist pack that stays with me no matter what when I go out in the woods. In that pack is a small amount of food and water and a fire kit. When we were kids my brothers and I would go out into the woods for miles. Night hikes and other stupid kid stuff that I think about now and SMH.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Good for you for being proactive in regards to one of life's "what ifs".
    I ran this past my buddy who did a 3 hour walk in the woods a couple days ago.
    He said when he was in there, this very thought crossed his mind. If he got hurt, how long till someone missed him, THEN how long would it take to find him. He is still a youngster at 64 but has a few minor health concerns even now.

He did this last year. Texted his kid that he was taking a hike. 6 hours later, the kid calls me to ask if I heard from his dad. I hadn't, didn't have his neighbors phone # and started getting nervous about his well being.
    Was getting ready to call the State police for lack of knowing who else to call. I was close to just driving up there when he woke up from his nap and called his kid
    Like I said, I believe I could do a night in the woods but you usually don't get to choose the circumstances. You will have to deal with what you have.
    A PLB at least could get someone out there looking and could locate you, naturally, if you were able to activate it.

(Allegheny County)

If you keep PAFOA open on your smart phone the government will always know exactly where you are.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Several years ago a friend carried a SPOT locator while doing a thru hike on the AT. She used it to allow students at the school she retired from to follow her progress at least for the first few months when they were in school. It seemed to work well, we used to bring up a web page and see her on a map. I do not have experience with the model you listed.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

After falling at camp and breaking my tibia/fibia; I now use the SPOT locator.

Cell coverage is a 15 minute drive away from camp and the areas I hunt are further.

Most of our 'gang' has died or quit so I am often alone though I have relatives with a camp nearby so I'm not always alone.

I send my wife a 'check in' when I arrive at the camp and every morning. I don't leave the house without it.

(Allegheny County)

How about doing it the old fashion way? Tell someone where you're specifically going, when you'll be back, what to do if you're overdue, what constitutes overdue, and stick to that plan?

Plus pack with you some emergency supplies to keep you alive for at least overnight (pocket knife, fire starter, good flashlight/extra batteries, emergency space blanket, and a whistle would be the basics)

SPOT sale with rebate: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9371

SPOT Rebate only: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...-Holiday17.pdf
    Last edited by Hawk; November 13th, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How about doing it the old fashion way? Tell someone where you're specifically going, when you'll be back, what to do if you're overdue, what constitutes overdue, and stick to that plan?

Plus pack with you some emergency supplies to keep you alive for at least overnight (pocket knife, fire starter, good flashlight/extra batteries, emergency space blanket, and a whistle would be the basics)

SPOT sale with rebate: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9371

SPOT Rebate only: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...-Holiday17.pdf
    This is essentially what I have been doing for quite a few years as well as taking in the items you listed and usually more clothes than I need. I have been taking extra ammo for 3 shot distress signalling after dark.
    I pack heavy.
    There is no cell phone coverage where I go.
    My buddies know approximately where I go but all of us wander quite a distance from where we start as the grass is always greener on the other side of the crick, over the next rise or or the other mountain ( read as big hill).
    I'll check into the SPOT but i believe all.i need is a way for emergency responders to locate me if I am.in distress in any way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast