Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Personal Locator beacons

HMMM.. Get this and toss it in my buddies ruck when he goes to camp.. I can then head South and chill on a beach and my better half will think I am at hunt camp.. now how to explain the tan
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Years ago I was hunting the state game lands of Haycock Mountain. From far off, barely intelligible, came a cry, "H e l p!" It grew louder and closer and eventually he came into sight. Admittedly, I was hoping he would drive a buck into my location, but no such luck.

He spotted me and with great relief expressed his gratitude that he had found me. He said he was lost. (I resisted intoning, "No shit?")

I did tell him he is on a small mountain, further explaining any time you are on an elevated topography, walk downhill and, and you will come to the bottom. At the bottom you will likely find a road, a body of water, and other signs of human life. He thanked me for the new-to-him info, and struck out for mountain bottom. I told him how I had got where I was and how to get to where I was parked, if that would help. He turned and headed downward in that direction. I had no idea where he had begun, so I couldn't get him there.

I say small mountain, but that is relative. It is unsmall enough that being stuck up there overnight would be just as uncomfortable as any. Hawk's advice is sound and time has little effect on its principles.

(Bucks County)

...now how to explain the tan
    Or why you didn't think to thank her for the surprise she hid in your case.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    How about doing it the old fashion way? Tell someone where you're specifically going, when you'll be back, what to do if you're overdue, what constitutes overdue, and stick to that plan?

Plus pack with you some emergency supplies to keep you alive for at least overnight (pocket knife, fire starter, good flashlight/extra batteries, emergency space blanket, and a whistle would be the basics)

SPOT sale with rebate: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9371

SPOT Rebate only: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilots...-Holiday17.pdf

Forgot the good old signal mirror! And learn how to use it. Problem is that in PA we have so little sunshine and a bunch of woods that a signal mirror may not be that effective for aircraft spotting you, probably better off with building a signal fire.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    HMMM.. Get this and toss it in my buddies ruck when he goes to camp.. I can then head South and chill on a beach and my better half will think I am at hunt camp.. now how to explain the tan
    Snow reflection tanning while taking a dump.in the woods? Trying here. How gullible is she? Ha.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Forgot the good old signal mirror! And learn how to use it. Problem is that in PA we have so little sunshine and a bunch of woods that a signal mirror may not be that effective for aircraft spotting you, probably better off with building a signal fire.
    I never did learn how to use a mirror for signaling.
    I do remember Morse code for SOS though.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Years ago I was hunting the state game lands of Haycock Mountain. From far off, barely intelligible, came a cry, "H e l p!" It grew louder and closer and eventually he came into sight. Admittedly, I was hoping he would drive a buck into my location, but no such luck.

He spotted me and with great relief expressed his gratitude that he had found me. He said he was lost. (I resisted intoning, "No shit?")

I did tell him he is on a small mountain, further explaining any time you are on an elevated topography, walk downhill and, and you will come to the bottom. At the bottom you will likely find a road, a body of water, and other signs of human life. He thanked me for the new-to-him info, and struck out for mountain bottom. I told him how I had got where I was and how to get to where I was parked, if that would help. He turned and headed downward in that direction. I had no idea where he had begun, so I couldn't get him there.

I say small mountain, but that is relative. It is unsmall enough that being stuck up there overnight would be just as uncomfortable as any. Hawk's advice is sound and time has little effect on its principles.
    Many years ago my brother an I were hunting SGL 66 (state game lands) and when we got back to the car we happened upon a fellow who was asking if we knew the name of the road we were on. We discovered he had gotten disoriented up on the mountain and came down on the opposite side of where he wanted to be. We were done for the day and decided to give him a ride which was three times as long as the 3 plus mile hike back over the mountain to his car. He would have likely not made it before dark.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

I've walked up and around on that mountain, lot's of big rocks up there, swampy spots too! wouldn't want to be lost up there small is relative

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    I've walked up and around on that mountain, lot's of big rocks up there, swampy spots too! wouldn't want to be lost up there small is relative
    Especially with albino cannibals running around.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Especially with albino cannibals running around.
    That explains the fie pit at the top end of the one trail with all the Stonehenge like rocks surrounding it...

I wonder what they thought last January as I walked around the old Cemetery in blaze orange camo at St. Johns looking for the old family stones that I hadn't seen in 40 years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast