Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Block shoot, Jonestown Fish & Game Assn.

https://www.jonestownfishandgame.com/events

https://www.facebook.com/events/2874..._history%22%3A[%7B%22surface%22%3A%22page%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A %22main_list%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A%22%7B%5C%22p age_id%5C%22%3A400038240093233%2C%5C%22tour_id%5C% 22%3Anull%7D%22%7D]%2C%22has_source%22%3Atrue%7D

Sunday, November 5, 2017 starting at 1:00pm, (Doors open at noon).
    2222 Kenbrook Road
    Lebanon, Pa. 17046

12 ga. guns only.
    30" maximum barrel length
    Minimum Bore / Choke Diameter .682"
    No scopes or laser sights.
    Shooting begins at 1:00pm and continues until we run out of sufficient daylight or willing participants. (Usually around 5:00pm, sundown).
    Prizes will include:
    Meat trays, (Beef).
    Bacon Trays (5 pounds of bacon).
    Hams
    Pork loins.
    Money

No age limit, young or old if you can safely handle a 12 ga. shotgun with target loads you may shoot.
    There will be indoor activities for te non-shooters. Family friendly card games, Yahtzee, bean bag toss, etc.
    There will be raffles for the same prizes that shooters are competing for, you don't have to shoot to win the good stuff.
    The whole event is family friendly, well behaved children are welcome.
    NO ALCOHOL during the event, (not even beer). It's a shooting event, not a beer party.
    It is a private club so smoking is permitted.
    Food and non-alcoholic beverages will be available at very reasonable prices.
    This is a rain or shine event, we've never been rained out.
    There will be no NO RIFLE, HANDGUN, TRAP OR ARCHERY SHOOTING DURING THE BLOCK SHOOT.
    In other words, if you go to the Lebanon gun show on Saturday or Sunday and want to come out to try out your "new" acquisition, you'll find all of the ranges closed for the day. (Sunday).

We are the oldest organized and continuously operating sportsmen's club in Lebanon county and among the top ten oldest in the state. (Organized in 1913 and incorporated in 1953).

One of our more ambitious members is building a stone wall along our driveway and would like to include stones from every county in Pennsylvania, as many towns and cities as possible, every state in the United States as well as stones from as many countries as possible. He is documenting where each stone comes from and would like to write a book to submit to the county Historical Society. If you come to our club for the block shoot or for any other reason, he would appreciate a stone from your location with a piece of paper stating where the stone came from. He is not marking each stone but is logging them in his "book". Any size stone is welcomed but please do not hurt yourself trying to pick up a big rock. Please do not take one from State Game Lands, it's illegal to remove things from State Game Lands. (But if it comes from somewhere near a State Game Lands it would be nice to know which Game Lands number it's close to). We have specimens from many counties and cities in Pa., a few from other states and even some from Canada, Germany and a few other countries. (It's interesting to see where some of them came from).

For those who want to ask "What is a block shoot?" Here is my description of our version of the event:

Block shoot:
    Also known as Card Shoot, Turkey Shoot or other such names. We don't shoot turkeys and we don't shoot blocks, but many years ago the target was a wooden block with an X on the broad face on each side. The block was thrown into the air and shot while in mid air. Scoring was determined by the block with a BB closest to the center of the X on the side of the block.
    It has evolved from shoooting blocks of wood to shooting cards that are 4¼" X 5½", in a stationary holder 30 yards away from the shooter. There is an X on the card and scoring is done the same way, the card with a BB closest to the center of the X is the winner. The cards are numbered and the scoring judge does not see any reference to which number correlates to the names on the sign-up sheet.
    Shooting is done with 12 gauge shotguns only, to keep it fair the club supplier the shells and choke is limited to commercially available chokes, no custom made chokes unless the bore diameter is .682" or bigger. We have a nylon gauge that is machined to .682", if that gauge fits into the end of your barrel you can use that gun, if it doesn't fit, the gun is disallowed, no exceptions. The other rule relating to barrels is the maximum barrel length can be no longer than 30". One rule not relating to barrel length or diameter is that we do not allow optics, no red dot, no laser no scope. The bead on the end of the barrel is sufficient, but if your gun happens to be equipped with rifle type sights that's OK too.
    We run a series of shoots, usually about 15 throughout the day. There aare 20 shooters per shoot, a shot will usually cost $3.00 - $5.00 and the typical prize is a ham, a meat tray or a pork loin. The laast shoot of the day is a money shoot, it's $5.00 to sign up, there are 20 shooters and the winner collects all of the money, ($100.00)
    For each shoot there will be a stack of 20 target cards in the target house with a person in the house to change the card after each shot. At the shooting position the "caller" has a list of shooters who signed up for that shoot and he calls the shooters in order. Each shooter fires one shot at one card. After all 20 cards have been shot the cards are taken into the clubhouse to be judged. (A large magnifying glass and measuring tools ate used).
    Shoot #2 will begin while shoot #1 is being judged, shoot #3 will begin while shoot #2 is being judged, etc. The winning target is then matched up to the sign-up sheet to reveal the winner of the prize for that shoot and the winning target is posted on a bulletin board outside the doors of the clubhouse.
    We don't tolerate horseplay, unsafe acts or unsportsmanlike conduct, we have banned some members for life due to unsportsmanlike behavior. We will not hesitate to ban other members or put non-members on a no-join list for improper behavior. It's a fun event, safety and camaraderie are top priorities.
    The proceeds of these events go toward helping the community in ways that help citizens, especially children. We hosted hunter safey classes and provided food for the students and instructors as well as buy the first license for children who are first time hunters who successfully completed and passed the course, (until the Pa. Game Commission started doing the classes online). We also hold a youth field day, host women's self defense handgun courses and other activities, so the proceeds of this event will be going to a good cause.
    Last edited by mauser; October 23rd, 2017 at 01:25 AM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Block shoot, Jonestown Fish & Game Assn.

Our record still stands, we've never been rained out. It was a misty day with occasional drizzle but where we shoot from is under roof and the shotgun rack is under roof. We anticipated rain so we erected some E-Z up canopies and put our picnic tables under them. The clubhouse was warn, dry and open to everyone. The food was hot and good. And to ptove once again that age does not matter, one of our meat tray prizes was won by a 10 year old boy who fired a shotgun for the first time at our block shoot. He didn't make a solid shot on the card, as in he didn't pepper the card with pellets, but one of the three that hit the card was perfect placement. He was a happy youmh man, when I wanted to yake his picture with his prize I didn't have to tell him to smile. (Maybe his dad will post the picture here after I send it to him).
    I can't get the uploader to work now to post a picture of the winning target, perhaps I'll try again later.

(Clinton County)

Had another great time this year. My son got a chance to shoot my 12ga for the first time. His first shot missed the paper completely but his second shot made up for it. 3 pellets managed to hit but it only took one for him to win the round. The smile on that boys face was permanent the rest of the day! He was almost as proud as I was. He shot about 4 more times that day and got his pattern dialed in more and more with each shot, sometimes peppering that target better than I had.

A big thanks to the people that set up this event and thank you Mauser for the invite. We had a blast.

20171105_144250.jpg
    20171105_144257.jpg
    received_1601649866523406.jpg
    received_1601650113190048.jpg
    received_1601650549856671.jpg
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Had another great time this year. My son got a chance to shoot my 12ga for the first time. His first shot missed the paper completely but his second shot made up for it. 3 pellets managed to hit but it only took one for him to win the round. The smile on that boys face was permanent the rest of the day! He was almost as proud as I was. He shot about 4 more times that day and got his pattern dialed in more and more with each shot, sometimes peppering that target better than I had.

A big thanks to the people that set up this event and thank you Mauser for the invite. We had a blast.

20171105_144250.jpg
    20171105_144257.jpg
    received_1601649866523406.jpg
    received_1601650113190048.jpg
    received_1601650549856671.jpg
    And a big thank you to you too. It was great to see you and your family again. Your children are so happy, polite and well behaved. That speaks very well of you and your wife.
    I'm glad the young lad won the meat tray, I'm sure he'll be bugging you to go to the next one. (It's a shame you live so far away, we'd like to have more members who are like you and your family).

Surprisingly enough I didn't even have to tell him to smile for those pictures.
    I'll be sure to let you know when the next shoot will be. I'm sure it will be in either March or April, I'm thinking probably March 11, 2018, same time, same place, but don't mark your calendar with ink just yet, that's only speculation on my part. We have a meeting tonight that might settle it but it may be a while before we make it definite.
    Last edited by mauser; November 7th, 2017 at 06:12 PM.

(Lebanon County)

OK, a quick update here for our spring block shoot:
    The date is going to be Sunday, March 11, 2018 starting at 1:00, (doors open at NOON).
    Come early, half of our signup sheets for the shoots last Sunday were filled before 12:30 and the rest were filled pretty quickly.
    That should be easy to remember, it will be the first day of Daylight Saving Time.
    We had a pretty good turnout and things went smoothly but we finished all shoots before dusk. In anticipation of another good turnout we plan on adding a few more shoots at the next one. There will be more hams as prizes and I think there will be a few more money shoots at the spring shoot. We had two money shoots last weekend, the first one was a small one, the prize was $30.00. The last shoot of the day was for $150.00. The money prizes are paid out in cash on the spot. I know the Gixxer family had steak for supper Monday. I hope it was cooked on a grill the way steak should be cooked, (not well done). I don't know exactly what cuts of meat were in their meat tray but from the looks of the picture I think there were at least two New York strip steaks. (Maybe Mr. Gixxer will chime in and tell us what was in the package?) I don't remember exactly what was in the last meat tray I won, but I do know it was good meat and enough for several meals. The misty day was no deterrent to the fun, we had W-D 40 and gun oil as well as rags for anyone to use. We also provided disposable ear plugs for the few who forgot their hearing protection. There was really no reason for anyone to not participate.

(Clinton County)

You bet they were cooked on the grill! And charcoal only around here!

I was guessing they were NY Strip steaks as well along with some pork chops, a beef roast and one other item I can't remember at 5:30am in the morning. I was expecting a meat tray to be lunch meat (which I could use too lol, the kids pack lunch) but this was way better!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!