Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default Church AND School: Which is it?

So say you go to a Church that happens to have a parochial school, I'm guessing, on the same grounds. On the surface, the cautious view I've taken up until now is to treat the church as a prohibited place given its proximity to the school and the likelihood that is resides on the same property. Given recent events, I've decided to explore the idea once again. The Church I'm referencing has a parking lot that appears to be for the church and the school looks like an appendage to the property. Interestingly, the school looks to be about 1000ft from the church across the parking lot. Am I waisting my time here thinking there may be a legal option to CC at church? Any views on the topic are appreciated.
    Last edited by speedseeker; November 8th, 2017 at 09:06 PM.
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Berks County)

Default Re: Church AND School: Which is it?

I would imagine that the school trumps the church, as far as the law is concerned. Keep in mind, though: there is the "other lawful purpose" part of the Pennsylvania law regarding carrying on school property. If you're engaged in lawful activity on the property (In other words, there to vote or attend church or a PTA meeting and you're not otherwise trespassing), technically you're good as far as carrying is concerned. That might not keep you from getting arrested and prosecuted, though, so if you must carry do so with that in mind and with deep concealment a top priority.

Please note that I am not advocating breaking the law. As I understand the law, it is legal to carry on school grounds with an LTCF. It's just that not everyone in law enforcement and at the DA's office understands that, so anyone doing this - if caught - could end up being the legal guinea pig.

Mods, feel free to correct me and/or delete this post if what I'm saying is erroneous.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the reply Lex. On the "other lawful purpose" thing, my understanding is that it has has yet to be challenged and the use of LTCF as a defense in this regard is still an optimistic interpretation at this point. Am I right?
    the pen is mightier than the sword but don't ever fuckin' forget that sword. -topsykretts

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by speedseeker View Post
    Thanks for the reply Lex. On the "other lawful purpose" thing, my understanding is that it has has yet to be challenged and the use of LTCF as a defense in this regard is still an optimistic interpretation at this point. Am I right?
    No, we do have an en banc decision from the Superior Court - https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/02/1...hool-property/
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    No, we do have an en banc decision from the Superior Court - https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/02/1...hool-property/
    Excellent. Thank you. Still as clear as mud, but, the article gives good guidance. Big fan of your, and Adams work BTW.

Personally, my safety trumps whatever bull shit some DA is going to fabricate regarding your situation. IMO, and strictly MO, if the church is not in or attached to the school building, and attending the service isn't a school function then I'm carrying.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Personally, my safety trumps whatever bull shit some DA is going to fabricate regarding your situation. IMO, and strictly MO, if the church is not in or attached to the school building, and attending the service isn't a school function then I'm carrying.
    Right. The Church and School are NOT attached in any way. My concern arose from the possibility that they are both on the same land owned by the same entity.

(Mifflin County)

First thing would be to see if the two are the same property. If they're each on their own lot, and the church parking is on the church lot, you're fine. A PA LTCF exempts you from the federal GFSZ law, while in PA. I don't know if all counties have it, but I know some have online maps showing lot lines. (And often other information like current owner, date of last sale, price paid, etc.) Easy place to start to see if it's even something you need to be concerned with or not.

Walked into the local elementary school yesterday to vote. Pistol in pocket.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    First thing would be to see if the two are the same property. If they're each on their own lot, and the church parking is on the church lot, you're fine. A PA LTCF exempts you from the federal GFSZ law, while in PA. I don't know if all counties have it, but I know some have online maps showing lot lines. (And often other information like current owner, date of last sale, price paid, etc.) Easy place to start to see if it's even something you need to be concerned with or not.
    Yea not worried at all about the GFSZ as I'm good with my PA LTCF. It's the state law that I'm interested in understanding in this situation. I'll see if I can locate lot lines for the property. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by speedseeker; November 9th, 2017 at 05:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast