Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEE IS CRAP

(Berks County)

Angry LEE IS CRAP

I keep telling myself get RCBS, or go Blue, but my penny-pinching upbringing keeps coming back to haunt me. Bought a Auto-Prime, tried to recap some brass just now. What a piece of crap, even compared to the old style priming tools. Took a whole 10-12 cases before stuff started going wrong. Primers going sideways, lever fell off, whole thing jammed several times. I swear, never again! I'll eat Ramen before I get anything Lee again!! Now, off to buy something that WORKS!!
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Default Re: LEE IS CRAP

SOME of lee reloading items are crap.
    I have used the older version of the hand primer and I can agree, they are sub par. Try a frankford Arsenal.
    Their pistol dies are perfectly fine.

(Lackawanna County)

I’ve got a buddy who swears by his lee presses and it seems to make reliable ammo in many calibers

(Armstrong County)

I have an old Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm that has probably close to 10k round through it with out any major issue.
    It was a "thats good deal, lets buy it and take over the world" kind of purchase at 20 years old and still in school, and it was great for my needs then. Other than being a 3 station press and needing a separate operation to crimp.
    Now, go blue in the 1050 flavor and call it a day.

The only thing will buy and swear to from Lee, factory crimp die.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I have an old Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm that has probably close to 10k round through it with out any major issue.
    It was a "thats good deal, lets buy it and take over the world" kind of purchase at 20 years old and still in school, and it was great for my needs then. Other than being a 3 station press and needing a separate operation to crimp.
    Now, go blue in the 1050 flavor and call it a day.

The only thing will buy and swear to from Lee, factory crimp die.
    I have a Lee Pro 1000 I bought new about 3½ years ago. I also have nearly 10k rounds (of .45) thru mine. No other presses or dies, just 3 stations that got set up and adjusted once. I've torn it down 3 times for a good clean and lube, but otherwise it just does what it's supposed to.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy19608 View Post
    I keep telling myself get RCBS, or go Blue, but my penny-pinching upbringing keeps coming back to haunt me.
    Buy once cry once! you get what you pay for.................or do you?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like a warranty claim to me.

(Tioga County)

I have found some of their stuff is really good and some not so good. Obviously they price and sell things more in the value range for consumers and that can have mixed results.

(Berks County)

Well after a night of badly needed sleep I reevaluated everything and I went into "rant" mode way to quick again. If you're gonna trash a company make sure your dies aren't from that company. I HAVE always been happy with Lee pistol dies, had some issues with their 223 dies but other rifle calibers worked fine.

Not that it's an excuse, but I guess I was more sleep deprived than I realized. I won't do anything with powders, but I figured the priming tool wouldn't be a major hurdle. WRONG!! I managed to finish the cases I had to do just now, it's still cheap but I managed to finish. Gonna be a different brand here soon though.

Sorry for the first post, I'll try to keep quiet and just throw things out the window from now on. LOL.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Lancaster County)

I concur with the others: their pistol dies are very nice, FCD's and decapping dies essential, and a couple other things are useful. Keep to what a company's good at and you won't be disappointed.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast