Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEE IS CRAP

Default Re: LEE IS CRAP

Started with a Lee 1000...soon thereafter moved onto a Dillon xl650 and never looked back. Built to last, responsive customer service (Lee service was great too btw... but not the issue here). Tried to make the Lee work consistently to no avail. Buy right once and you'll never regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I have an old Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm that has probably close to 10k round through it with out any major issue.
    It was a "thats good deal, lets buy it and take over the world" kind of purchase at 20 years old and still in school, and it was great for my needs then. Other than being a 3 station press and needing a separate operation to crimp.
    Now, go blue in the 1050 flavor and call it a day.

The only thing will buy and swear to from Lee, factory crimp die.
    Regarding the Lee factory crimp die. I agree totally. The Lee Universal depriming die is also quality. So much so, I prefer it over my RCBS universal depriming die. Most of my current dies are not Lee, except for the 7.62 x 54R set. I purchased it when I was unable to get that caliber in RCBS. I have to admit that I started loading with a Lee product. I used the Lee Classic reloader to make my first complete 308 Win. bullet. I still have my first two Classic loaders (calibers .38 Spec. and .308 Win.)

From my experience Lee is cheap. Parts are cheap, presses are cheap. Not necessarily bad. I had a turret press for several years. I loaded thousands of rounds on it. It worked pretty well but little parts wore out quickly. Usually they were under $10 to replace. I think their stuff is pretty ingenious the way wear items are only a couple dollars to replace. Most reloading companies have awesome customer service and stand by their products. Just call or email them. They will probably make it right.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaniac View Post
    Started with a Lee 1000...soon thereafter moved onto a Dillon xl650 and never looked back. Built to last, responsive customer service (Lee service was great too btw... but not the issue here). Tried to make the Lee work consistently to no avail. Buy right once and you'll never regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    From my experience Lee is cheap. Parts are cheap, presses are cheap. Not necessarily bad. I had a turret press for several years. I loaded thousands of rounds on it. It worked pretty well but little parts wore out quickly. Usually they were under $10 to replace. I think their stuff is pretty ingenious the way wear items are only a couple dollars to replace. Most reloading companies have awesome customer service and stand by their products. Just call or email them. They will probably make it right.
    fotomaniac & Yoder - Maybe in the past, I recently purchased a couple of used Lee 3 Die Sets, for my nephew who is just starting to get into reloading. I needed the "Load data/instruction sheet for the 223Rem, you know the one with the ads for Lee products. I called Lee, and asked them for a copy. The nice lady who answered the phone told me it had a part number, but it would be at no cost, except for postage. I replied sure send it to me, figuring that it couldn't cost more than fifty-five cents, plus a buck for the envelope. I asked her how much it would be, she replied $5.79 (or there-abouts, it didn't register after she said 5 bucks and change). I asked her if we were talking about the same thing. She replied the load data sheet for the 3 Die .223Rem. Pace-Setter Dies. I replied: "$5 and change for postage to mail a piece of paper the size of two notebook sheets?". She said it includes postage and handling. I told her no thank you.

What is the Lee Precision company crazy? Companies like RCBS, supply parts under warranty, and don't charge for the postage. Ruger will send you a free instruction manual for any firearm they produced, even if you purchased it second hand. If not for any other reason, it's for safety reasons. Price gouging customers for parts will not ensure loyalty to the brand. I went against my better judgment, and bought Lee to save a few bucks, getting my nephew started in reloading.

Rant over.

Does anyone have a copy of the load data sheet/instruction manual for the Lee 3 Die .223Rem. (Pacesetter) set, they can copy and mail to me, or scan and send it to me via PM? Thanks in advance.

(Lehigh County)

All I could find is: https://leeprecision.com/instructions.html which includes die instructions, but no load data.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

The lady treated the load data sheet like it was a "super-secret squirrel" item. Guess that's why it's not on the web.

(Lancaster County)

Is this it? https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in...D_AD_Chart.pdf

1992 called and said they want their website back, but it appears this one has load data: http://leeloaderdata.com/index.htm

Keep in mind, I don't know what I'm looking at because I don't have time to not reload.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/90096.jpg

streaker69 - The instruction sheet under the clear plastic is what I needed. It has dipper info, start and max grains for various powders, bullets, and bullet weights. Is the chart on the link you gave me for the 223Rem? Also I believe it's for "auto disk" settings, and not for the dipper. Do you have the link for the use of dippers, too?
    Last edited by OldSchoolRanger; May 2nd, 2019 at 11:36 PM.

(Clarion County)

Here's a Lee dipper capacity chart. https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf
    You'll need to know the load data you want to use.

Edit: Have used Lee dippers in the past but checked with a scale. Would suggest not using any loads approaching max unless you can verify charge weight.
    Last edited by cephas; May 3rd, 2019 at 08:06 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

cephas - Thanks for the link, but I have the Lee reloading manual, and quite a few others. I was trying to get this information together for my nephew who is just getting into reloading. He doesn't live close enough to me to drive over every time he has a question. That's why I wanted a copy of the load data sheet that comes with the Lee 3 die set. It specifically has powders, bullet weights, and dipper info, plus starting and max loads, for the 223Rem.

I'm hoping one of the guys who reload using Lee dies, might still have the original sheet that came with their dies, then I could get a copy of it to give my nephew along with the dies. Anyways, thanks again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast