Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    2,852
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default selling handgun out of state????

    I'm selling a handgun to a guy in Arizona. I've not done this before so I've been going around to FFLs to find out what they charge to transfer and ship it. I thought I knew what needed to happen (ie, my FFL takes possession, ships it to the buyers FFL who then transfers it to the buyer). but I'm getting different stories from different FFLs and their prices vary a lot, ranging from $40+shipping to free+shipping. One FFL told me he didn't like to do it because of the extra paperwork (he charges $40), another told me he doesn't charge anything because all he's doing is writing it in his book and shipping it.
    What gives? Am I asking the wrong things, maybe the FFLs are confused as to what I'm doing?
    The Hostler

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Wyoming County)
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    21474840

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'm selling a handgun to a guy in Arizona. I've not done this before so I've been going around to FFLs to find out what they charge to transfer and ship it. I thought I knew what needed to happen (ie, my FFL takes possession, ships it to the buyers FFL who then transfers it to the buyer). but I'm getting different stories from different FFLs and their prices vary a lot, ranging from $40+shipping to free+shipping. One FFL told me he didn't like to do it because of the extra paperwork (he charges $40), another told me he doesn't charge anything because all he's doing is writing it in his book and shipping it.
    What gives? Am I asking the wrong things, maybe the FFLs are confused as to what I'm doing?
    Hmmm maybe the FFL that is for free forgot that he needs to pay Uncle Sugar's postal service? Nice of him not to charge to for his service but that's on him.

    $40 doesn't sound like a bad deal.

    I've never shipped but I know the FFL can ship a hand gun via USPS for reasonable price unlike UPS or FedEx

    *Sorry- I read this on my phone and somehow missed your "+shipping". Don't know whats wrong with my reading comprehension lately
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; November 7th, 2017 at 06:35 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,215
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    All you need is a copy of his FFL. Then find a place like ups to ship it.

    I used to use a fedex store where I live, then I used ups
    on hog island rd in philly. Dont tape the box, they want to see
    it emptied (mag/cylinders) and they want to see the FFL copy.
    Its a 2day or overnight, cant remember.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    2,852
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Hmmm maybe the FFL that is for free forgot that he needs to pay Uncle Sugar's postal service? Nice of him not to charge to for his service but that's on him.

    $40 doesn't sound like a bad deal.

    I've never shipped but I know the FFL can ship a hand gun via USPS for reasonable price unlike UPS or FedEx
    All of them said shipping would be USPS priority and be around $30 but no more than $35. The addition $40 that one of them wanted was over and above shipping costs. Two FFLs wanted $25, one wanted $40 and the last one wanted $0.
    The Hostler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    central Pa, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    203
    Rep Power
    4597485

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    My small local guy does them for free plus $30.00 to ship priority mail I just give him $40.00 and tell him to keep it. He puts it in his books and ships to the FFL of the buyers choice and mine asks for a signed in ink copy of the FFL its going to. Some do charge just for there time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    10,556
    Rep Power
    8408608

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Is John Heckman one of the guys you checked with? If so, I'm curious what his quote was.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    2,852
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Is John Heckman one of the guys you checked with? If so, I'm curious what his quote was.
    I don't know John.
    The Hostler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    10,556
    Rep Power
    8408608

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    5836033

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'm selling a handgun to a guy in Arizona. I've not done this before so I've been going around to FFLs to find out what they charge to transfer and ship it. I thought I knew what needed to happen (ie, my FFL takes possession, ships it to the buyers FFL who then transfers it to the buyer). but I'm getting different stories from different FFLs and their prices vary a lot, ranging from $40+shipping to free+shipping. One FFL told me he didn't like to do it because of the extra paperwork (he charges $40), another told me he doesn't charge anything because all he's doing is writing it in his book and shipping it.
    What gives? Am I asking the wrong things, maybe the FFLs are confused as to what I'm doing?
    My FFL charged $40 which included shipping. The buyer paid it. The FFL wanted copy of license from receiving FFL, which he immediately emailed. The whole process took two days, and went smoothly. It was Kentucky though. All bets off on the commie states, like NJ, NY, etc.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    5836033

    Default Re: selling handgun out of state????

    Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    All you need is a copy of his FFL. Then find a place like ups to ship it.

    I used to use a fedex store where I live, then I used ups
    on hog island rd in philly. Dont tape the box, they want to see
    it emptied (mag/cylinders) and they want to see the FFL copy.
    Its a 2day or overnight, cant remember.
    Many FFLs will not accept a handgun from a non-licensee. And it would cost more than $40 anyway. It has to go next day air. Usually starts at about $60.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM
  2. Selling a handgun to a FFL
    By 65mustang in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 12th, 2014, 12:09 AM
  3. Selling a handgun if you're under 21
    By dsi28 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
  4. Selling a handgun to someone in OH?
    By wslowik in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM
  5. Out of state person selling Handgun in PA
    By idontevencare in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops