Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is .357 Sig dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The biggest potential problem with the 357 Sig is that although the cartridge is basically a necked down .40 you can not make the Sig cases from a 40! They come out a bit short. If you could it would be a round that would never die.

So get yourself a few thousand rounds of brass (while it is readily available) and a reloading die. Then the round will not be obsolete in your lifetime.
    Says you. I've done it a few times while reloading just to see what would happen. As long as I kept the pressures below maximum saami pressure for 40sw, nothing happened other than the bullet going down range.
    But I understand your point. Brass is not easily found at your local range, and even talking about it to older folk, they seem to confuse it with 357 magnum.

(Bucks County)

CorBon uses Starline brass. So do I. My carry is CorBon, my range ammo reloads are of Starline brass. Reportedly, the problem with making 357 SIG from .40 S&W brass is less bullet retention ability due to a shorter neck. Theoretically, the round is so powerful, retention is inadequate to safely control setbacks. Some say you cannot make up for it by tighter crimp, others argue no you can't....the round headspaces on the mouth rim. Well, don't believe it. The 357 SIG headspaces on the shoulder, despite what the designer, SAAMI or Wikipedia says.
    Last edited by Bang; November 10th, 2017 at 01:22 PM.

(Dauphin County)

I just got a old fashion Ruger 357 but I can't get the magazine out of the grip. Is my old type 357 dead or will it come back and be popular again.

My 125 grain lead bullets are only going a little over 700 fps, should I add more Trail Boss to my dead 357 loads?

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by pete1955 View Post
    I just got a old fashion Ruger 357 but I can't get the magazine out of the grip. Is my old type 357 dead or will it come back and be popular again.

My 125 grain lead bullets are only going a little over 700 fps, should I add more Trail Boss to my dead 357 loads?

You should of got a revolver with an extendo clip, nah mean?

"One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Magazine is backwards... What a tool

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

I went big bore with my revolver / mag conversion. The attachment point and trigger mod is top secret till I rotate the sights to the side as well.

Need to sell this. by poofy27, on Flickr

As far as the .357 Sig being dead, My first Glock was a G32 and I loved the round. I took a few training classes with it.
    When Blazer stopped making it in aluminum cased, I swapped out the bbl to a .40 and it stayed that way for a long tome.
    At our last group shoot, I reinstalled that .357 bbl and really like it. I have dies but never reloaded for it. I may now start.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I went big bore with my revolver / mag conversion. The attachment point and trigger mod is top secret till I rotate the sights to the side as well.

As far as the .357 Sig being dead, My first Glock was a G32 and I loved the round. I took a few training classes with it.
    When Blazer stopped making it in aluminum cased, I swapped out the bbl to a .40 and it stayed that way for a long tome.
    At our last group shoot, I reinstalled that .357 bbl and really like it. I have dies but never reloaded for it. I may now start.
    Nice.
    Now add a bumpstock on that and some gold spinner wheels.
    Ghetto-fabulous!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

If you have 40 dies, run the 357 sig brass thru that first with the decapping rod removed, it'll save you the headache of lubing the brass when going thru the 357 sig dies

(Bucks County)

No lube to shoulder and neck and inside the neck? .40 sizing of carbide, understand, but the rest still needs to be addressed, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    No lube to shoulder and neck and inside the neck? .40 sizing of carbide, understand, but the rest still needs to be addressed, doesn't it?
    Once it is run through the 40 die, you don't need lube because the body has already been reset to factory specs, which is the part that would cause it to "stick". The shoulder and neck getting pushed back doesn't have enough tension inside the die to cause it to stick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast