Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Philadelphia Police Officers and LTCF Philadelphia PD Directive 5.27

NOTE: Active Philadelphia Police Officers are prohibited from possessing License to Carry. The Commanding Officer, Recruit Division, will ensure that all police recruits relinquish any License to Carry that may have been issued to them prior to beginning their recruit training.

The above directive tells Philadelphia police officers that they cannot hold a LCTF while they are an active police officer. You may ask why would this matter because police officers are exempt from LTCF regulations and also have LEOSA as well. Well when I was a municipal police officer in PA during the 1980s, the first thing told to me by my training officer was to obtain a LTCF immediately. The rationale was that if you were suspended, your police powers were also suspended and you could carry for self defense until reinstated. I did obtain a gun permit and have had one ever since.

This may be one of the reasons that Philly police hate issuing LTCFs to non LEOs. They don't want you to have what they may not be able to get.

Default Re: Philadelphia Police Officers and LTCF Philadelphia PD Directive 5.27

Most non-Philly cops I know , including State Police , also have PA-LTCF.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Police Officers and LTCF Philadelphia PD Directive 5.27

....as police officers they don't really need a ltcf but I don't understand why the department forbids it's officers from having them.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

If Philly police do not have to reside in the City, I wonder if the City of Philly checks to see if they have a LTCF.

(Delaware County)

How do they reconcile this with off-duty carry and the federal GFSZ?

(Chester County)

I’m covered by LEOSA but have a ltcf too. I can carry in Yellowstone National Park with my PA ltcf, but I can’t with ONLY leosa certifications. A lot of my coworkers have their ltcfs.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    ....as police officers they don't really need a ltcf but I don't understand why the department forbids it's officers from having them.

There may be language in regulations that indicate a requirement to qualify with "off duty" weapons etc... There often is a list of permitted calibers and firearms in a PDs firearm regulations. Most also limit the number of personal weapons an officer can qualify with. So, not that an officer would be breaking the law by carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT in a belly band while jogging, but more than likely doing something against PD regs. I would say that MOST of the officers I know who are "gun guys", also possess and maintain a valid PALTCF.

(Fayette County)

Not trying to stray off topic.....
    But in PA I know of some places like hospitals and colleges are allowed to employ their own "Private Police" departments as long as the officers complete ACT120.

Are these private police officers able to obtain LEOSA?
    I may be in need of a career change.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Not trying to stray off topic.....
    But in PA I know of some places like hospitals and colleges are allowed to employ their own "Private Police" departments as long as the officers complete ACT120.

Are these private police officers able to obtain LEOSA?
    I may be in need of a career change.
    I see your location. Your hospital's PD could defend a small country. Just sayin...

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I see your location. Your hospital's PD could defend a small country. Just sayin...
    LOL
    Yeah, they sure have good equipment for a hospital in a small town.
    I think next year they're going to try and get a MRAAP
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast