Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Thumbs up one .38 Spl load=SMOKE, other=clean burning

Handgun: Model 36 S&W commonly called the Chief's Special, 1-7/8" barrel.

Old lot of lead 148gr SWC that measures .356", loaded with 2.7 gr Bullseye, light crimp into lead, no canallure. Ungodly smoke.

New lot of Xtreme .357" DEWC copper plated 148gr., Bullseye upped to 3.3 gr., bit heavier crimp into cannalure. Much cleaner burning.

With the first load, there was even heavy deposits on the recoil shield and under the ejector star.

The combination of undersized lead bullet, too mild a charge and crimp insufficient to allow pressure spike from more complete burn really took its toll.

Shooting the second load, Chrono went from 460fps to 600, average of 5. (5-inch S&W model 10 registered 696 fps average of five).

Chronographs rule!

(Fayette County)

Default Re: one .38 Spl load=SMOKE, other=clean burning

How old do you think that lot of lead 148gr SWC was?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Susquehanna County)

Much of the smoke from cast lead is the lubricant burning off. That smoke is virtually eliminated with jacketed, plated or coated bullets. BTW don't push your DEWCA too hard.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Much of the smoke from cast lead is the lubricant burning off. That smoke is virtually eliminated with jacketed, plated or coated bullets. BTW don't push your DEWCA too hard.
    This. Bullseye is one of the cleanest powders out there. The smoke if from the lube.

(Susquehanna County)

The smoke is only PART of the reason I'm trying to transition from cast lead to coated!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

This box of lead SWC is marked .356 and 150gr 38SPL . I bought them new back in the 70s or 80s. It is stamped LOMAX BULLETS. There is one band midway on the bearing surface filled with blue lube. No other canalures. Seating them with shoulder just below case mouth would seem the idea, but their being .356, they fit the case too loose, so I crimped into the lead a bit below the top of the bearing surface. Idea was to shoot 'em off and get rid of them. They'd probably do better as 9mms. I have about 60 left.

The plated DEWCs are a pleasure. I knew they would be as I shoot plated 9mm bullets, .30 Carbine, and some Colt 45s.