Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default What do I need to PROPERLY install a muzzle brake on my Ruger Gunsite Scout?

As the title suggests, what do I need?

I want to install a Surefire Procomp on it. The threading is the same. I know I'll need a crush washer to index the brake (which I believe it comes with).

What sort of clamping do I need to prevent damage to the barrel? What sort of torque should I expect to use?

I've heard the Ruger birdcage is really on there. I was thinking since it has no flats that I could just stick some covered dowels through the cage and wrench it off. But I don't want to remove it if I am not going to install the brake.

Am I overlooking anything?

I really appreciate any input.

-Zach

Default Re: What do I need to PROPERLY install a muzzle brake on my Ruger Gunsite Scout?

I would remove the stock and secure your barrel in a barrel clamp that can be placed in a bench vice. If this is a one time deal, I would go to a competent gunsmith to avoid buying unnecessary tools. The smith shouldn't charge you that much for the swap.
    Jules

EDITED TO ADD THIS VIDEO

This guy used a T60 Torx as advised by ruger and a breaker bar. It appeared to come off with little effort or torque exerted on the action.

Last edited by ar15jules; November 5th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What do I need to PROPERLY install a muzzle brake on my Ruger Gunsite Scout?

Who can say if it is a one time deal? I have a vise already. Actually have like 4 or 5.

I saw that video. He used threadlocker because he didn't plan to remove it. I'm not that bold. I'll use some antiseize.

Any recommendations for a barrel fixture to hold the action? I saw another video where a guy stuck his action in a vise with a towel. I am NOT doing that.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

The video shows the flash hider coming unscrewed while simply holding the rifle in the other hand by the stock. I wouldn't over-think the project. I would put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the barrel back from the front end, grab the barrel with two pieces of wood in the vice, and if using a T bar or breaker bar and a T-60, I would smack it with a hammer and shock-break the thread hold rather than applying steady increasing torque. Or use an impact wrench on a mild setting. Indexing the replacement would be done with ever-increasing torque until the desired clock is reached.

BTW...you might consider a lock nut to replace the crush washer.

I have removed and installed muzzle devices. They are not that big of a deal. :-)

(Bucks County)

You are probably right that I am over thinking this.

Getting the old device off is less my concern than properly attaching the new device. But from what I can tell, it isn't rocket science. Just pad the vice so it doesn't mar the barrel is what I am seeing.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

If your new muzzle device is indexed via crush washer and not shims, I'll change it for you- right before your very eyes.
    It will probably cost as much in gas to get up here as to do the change ($10.00).
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

I really appreciate the offer. At this point my confidence is pretty high. I just need to order it and that pesky t60 (mainly so I can put the flash hider back on if I get rid of the gun).

-Zach