Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Hornady titanium nitride 45 auto die problems

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    The 2 main things to a uniform crimp is uniform case length (within .003) and uniform case neck thickness. Many people say ya don't need to trim auto-pistol brass , but if they're not the same length , crimp will be inconsistent.
    While agree with your statement, the issue isn't inconsistent crimp but rather the case sticking and banging out of the press damaging the brass. It is, in fact, very consistent. Every round looks exactly the same. See picture above.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    While agree with your statement, the issue isn't inconsistent crimp but rather the case sticking and banging out of the press damaging the brass. It is, in fact, very consistent. Every round looks exactly the same. See picture above.
    Seriously, if I had encountered a problem like this and traced it to poor manufacturing of the die, I'd have sent it back to the manufacturer with an explanation of het problem and let them make good on it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Seriously, if I had encountered a problem like this and traced it to poor manufacturing of the die, I'd have sent it back to the manufacturer with an explanation of het problem and let them make good on it.

As I said in my first post, Hornady sent me a new sleeve. It was machined the exact same way so I just polished it down a bit. Works well now.

I find it hard to believe that the replacement part was machined as poorly as the original part. Unless Hornady built thousands of the sleeves a few years back and they are still pulling from the same inventory.

As always, I accept the fact that I may be doing something wrong, but neither I nor some of my reloading friends could figure it out.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Clarion County)

You didn't say what your measuring with, but in setting a crimp I use a micrometer, caliper won't do. Very useful and money well spent. I seat the bullet to length desired with out crimp, pull the seating stem back so it won't seat the bullet any further and measure as I set the crimp a bit at a time.
    In your pics something is shaving the end of your case. Could be as you suspect the die itself or a severe over crimp.
    Without my notes it seems I remember using a crimp around .470. I shoot mainly lead.
    SAAMI specs:
    cd45acp.jpg
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12