Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another Australian story I just don't get.

Melbourne man charged after ‘shooting home invader’

https://thewest.com.au/news/australi...-ng-b88647745z

The man is set to spend Christmas in custody.

A Melbourne man is set to spend Christmas behind bars after he allegedly shot an intruder who broke into his home.
    Police say four people forced their way into a Delahey home in Melbourne’s west last month and confronted the three people who were inside.
    During the home invasion, one of the occupants was assaulted.

“The occupant or the homeowner has then, we allege, fired a shot back at these people and as a result a male received a serious injury,” Detective Acting Sergeant Paul Jones said.
    That man remains on life support in hospital with life-threatening injuries from his gunshot wound.
    Two further alleged intruders, a 31-year-old woman and a 34-year-old man, were arrested and remain in custody. Both have been charged with a string of offences including armed robbery and will face court in January.

Police have also confirmed the 37-year-old occupant is behind bars after being remanded in custody.
    He will return to court on January 17 to face a charge of intentionally causing serious injury.
    The fourth alleged intruder remains on the run, with police putting out an appeal on Wednesday.

Default Re: Another Australian story I just don't get.

Sounds like the lawmakers need to be shot.

(Centre County)

so the police put out an appeal, for help finding the miscreant?
    If I were an Aussie, after seeing the police arrest and charge a homeowner for defending himself and other occupants of his home from an attack during a home invasion, I might be inclined to suggest the po-po stuff their appeal somewhere south of their belt.....or would that be north??? in the land down under???

which is a shame because I am guessing the police don't make the laws there?
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Tioga County)

There is no castle doctrine in Australia. There isn't even much protection for you under the law if someone is in the process of killing you and you manage to kill them back.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by archie19 View Post
    so the police put out an appeal, for help finding the miscreant?
    If I were an Aussie, after seeing the police arrest and charge a homeowner for defending himself and other occupants of his home from an attack during a home invasion, I might be inclined to suggest the po-po stuff their appeal somewhere south of their belt.....or would that be north??? in the land down under???

which is a shame because I am guessing the police don't make the laws there?
    Well actually the Australian police has a lot of political power, much more so than the USA and it's a centralized police force with police at the state and federal level but no local control like we have here in this country with county sheriffs and town police. They use that political power to strongly influence firearms and driving laws, both things they are neither expert on or are good at. You wouldn't want an Australian cop saving you as they are terrible shots.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    There is no castle doctrine in Australia. There isn't even much protection for you under the law if someone is in the process of killing you and you manage to kill them back.
    It sounds ike the Bizzaro world there.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Elk County)

If you can't be near the suspect you suspect, then suspect the suspect you're near.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    It sounds ike the Bizzaro world there.
    It is to some extent. Australia is one of the world's most urban countries, yet has vast swaths of rural land and then huge chunks that are totally empty. Plus Australia is relatively new in a sense, really only post WW2 did the country grow significantly and much of the population is recent generations of immigrants. Despite some of these issues, in some ways Australia is more free as the bureaucratic state is not as developed.

This is a glimpse into the crystal ball for the future of the American gun owner and laws if we do not stay loud and vigilant.

(Fayette County)

Antigun countries like Australia and the United Kingdom charge the homeowners for protecting themselves as a deterrent to other innocent homeowners from defending themselves in the same way.

They want you to be completely at the mercy of the state.
    Even the safekeeping of your family.
    Its about control.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast