Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Sig 938 problem encountered.

I purchased a new one and like it but encountered what I consider a serious problem. The slide lock lever fell out as I was racking the slide. It I rack the slide, especially if tilted on its left side the slide lock backs out a bit and locks the slide. sometimes it falls out completely and it is fairly consistent. My research on the internet reveals it is a fairly common problem but not with everyone. The slide lock spring appears to be the culpert. I would not expect it in a new gun and am considering going to a different CC gun. Folks that sent theirs back appear to have mixed results as to having the problem solved. Any input?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig 938 problem encountered.

The slide lock spring is the culprit.
    Some of them can be gently bent back into shape.
    Best to call Sig and have them send you a new spring- you should NOT have to send your pistol back for this.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

If you are not careful the spring can get bent when you clean the pistol. Not the best design..... It can catch on a rag or brush.

(Lancaster County)

It seems to be a very common problem. Sig customer service should have no hesitation sending out a replacement spring. It is so common that there are YouTube videos directly describing what you’re experiencing. Here’s one for an example.

https://youtu.be/8rnkMnp9jcg
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

There are a few videos and such on the problems with the 938, including a fluff and buff. For the price of those things, it seems unreasonable to me that the consumer would need to improve anything (like need for aftermarket triggers). I guess they are taking advantage that a large segment of gun buyers like to tinker with their guns.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    There are a few videos and such on the problems with the 938, including a fluff and buff. For the price of those things, it seems unreasonable to me that the consumer would need to improve anything (like need for aftermarket triggers). I guess they are taking advantage that a large segment of gun buyers like to tinker with their guns.
    My 938 is one of the most reliable pistols I have ever shot. Cleaned it up from the factory, gave it a good coat of grease on the rails and it didn't jam once in over 800 rounds (maybe clean it after 100-200). And that is with 124 and 147 gr mostly HPs.

I couldn't watch all of the Fluff and buff video. It is unneeded and that guy sounded like a hack. Once I heard he was using buffing wheels and a Dremel I decided to pass.

Keep the contact parts greased up (not just oil) and shoot it. The spots shiny parts on the finish that naturally buff out are the contact points and you should focus on greasing them.

I do in theory agree about not wanting a plastic trigger......But the way they are swaged in it seems like a pain to swap it.

(Bucks County)

Polishing theory has always somewhat puzzled me. Small contact surfaces create small amounts of friction. Polishing to the point that the contacts are larger surfaces seems counter-productive.