Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New LaRue can

Default New LaRue can

Check this out:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/10/23...arue-tactical/

I kind of like the idea of being able to pin that flash hider onto a short barrel and avoid the tax stamp..,

Thoughts?
    Last edited by GinzoMatic; November 2nd, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: New LaRue can

I never got the idea of permanently attaching a can to a host, with the exception of 22lr.

I use my .30 cal can on 6 different hosts right now.. and it's not even one of the hybrid multi caliber ones. I'd rather pay an additional SBR tax stamp than have 6 different cans/stamps.

I do like the protective mesh idea.... I can't tell you how many times someone asked to shoot my can and after a few mag dumps, they would lay it on something that would melt (sand bag, bed liner, gun case, small children, etc)

Agreed, but on this you’re just attaching the long flash hider.

(Armstrong County)

Yeah, but if I wanted to mount that on say an 18" barrel SPR, then I will have to mount the 8" (or however long) flash hider to my 18" barrel? Or even a 16" barrel.

Right. I think the idea of it in that regard is to pin to a 10.5 or 11.5 lower and avoid the tax stamp... I wouldn’t put it on anything longer than that anyway. The main purpose of it is to avoid baffle strikes, but not sure how big of an issue that is
    Last edited by GinzoMatic; November 2nd, 2017 at 09:02 PM.

It's been done for years but I like larue's take on it baring no hands on experience yet. Here's griffins simple go at it http://www.griffinarmament.com/Spart...er-p/gasp3.htm

Sig also tried to do this with the mpx-c by creating a monocore "muzzle brake" kinda like larues except the ATF shot their design down unfortunately. The theory was the outer tube would be the serialized suppressor. I guess the ATF figured it be too easy to thread a plain tube to slip over the muzzle brake, It looks awesome.

1E42F43FBA546D905AFF91B3DB7834671D0BE017.jpg

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    It's been done for years but I like larue's take on it baring no hands on experience yet. Here's griffins simple go at it http://www.griffinarmament.com/Spart...er-p/gasp3.htm

Sig also tried to do this with the mpx-c by creating a monocore "muzzle brake" kinda like larues except the ATF shot their design down unfortunately. The theory was the outer tube would be the serialized suppressor. I guess the ATF figured it be too easy to thread a plain tube to slip over the muzzle brake, It looks awesome.

1E42F43FBA546D905AFF91B3DB7834671D0BE017.jpg
    Not really the same thing as the mpx.... Sig tried to play it off as it wasn't a suppressor baffle.

Larue isn't trying to say it's not a suppressor baffle, they are just using it as a muzzle device to get the barrel length.

So Larue is trying to avoid the $200 SBR tax stamp.... Sig tried to avoid the $200 silencer tax stamp

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Not really the same thing as the mpx.... Sig tried to play it off as it wasn't a suppressor baffle.

Larue isn't trying to say it's not a suppressor baffle, they are just using it as a muzzle device to get the barrel length.

So Larue is trying to avoid the $200 SBR tax stamp.... Sig tried to avoid the $200 silencer tax stamp

Reread what I wrote. I said sig tried to pass it as a muzzlebreak. They encorporated a monocore break to avoid the sbr tax and in turn if you wanted to register the brake as a silencer, you could buy the tube and pay the tax on the outer sleeve. Not all different from large at all, just more obvious a monocore baffle.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    Reread what I wrote. I said sig tried to pass it as a muzzlebreak. They encorporated a monocore break to avoid the sbr tax and in turn if you wanted to register the brake as a silencer, you could buy the tube and pay the tax on the outer sleeve. Not all different from large at all, just more obvious a monocore baffle.
    The brake , not break, on the MPX-C was hardly a brake. It was the actual baffles of the silencer. All you had to do was put the a tube over the brake on the MPX-c and you were in silencer mode.

There are actual baffles inside the Larue silencer. The permanently attached brake just acts as a sacrificial chamber, as any normal brake on a host.