Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default NRA Board of Directors 2018 - Voting Members Step on In

Good afternoon guys, for those of you that don't know me, I'm Adam Kraut. I figured it was probably time I start a thread here on PAFOA for the NRA Board of Directors election coming up this year.

Last year, I ran by petition of the members and ended up coming shy of the number of votes needed in the mail in ballot. Since a number of individuals had told me they joined as life members just to vote for me, I campaigned at the annual meeting and fell short by 60 votes. No small feat given that there were just over 2,000 ballots cast (the year prior was only 1,200) and I wasn't pushing people to the polling station on Thursday.

The bylaw changes that went into effect last year raised the number of signatures required to be placed on the ballot. Once again, I have run by petition of the members and gathered enough signatures to be placed on the ballot.

This thread will be for a Q&A, suggestions, thoughts, etc., and to hopefully explain how the Board works to better inform you, the members.

One of the biggest questions I'm asked is, what I will do when if I'm elected. Given the Board is comprised of 76 members, I don't believe, nor have I ever said, that I'd be able to wave a magic wand and unilaterally make changes. I do believe that I have the capacity to listen to others, incorporate their ideas (if warranted and appropriate) and make suggestions in a manner that would allow everyone to help move the organization forward.

Since an election to the Board is not guaranteed, I thought I'd start out by introducing some proposed bylaw changes which would restore accountability to the Members.

You can find information and the petitions on my website. http://www.adamkraut.com/nra-bylaw-amendments/

Hopefully we can have a civil discussion in this thread and I look forward to chatting with you folks.

We can also discuss who has been attending and who has not.

Last edited by SuperMoose; November 12th, 2017 at 04:55 PM.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: NRA Board of Directors 2018 - Voting Members Step on In

Hi Adam I would say "welcome" but it seems you are here since 2006, but it's still nice to hear from you. Love your "legal briefs"! I wish you the best of luck with your pursuit. I'm not sure how many years I have with the NRA but probably still shy of the 5 to vote, otherwise you would have mine.

I think my membership is good until March 2019? Hell I can't keep track, they ask me to renew it every month even though I'm no where near expiration. I have no intention of cancelling my membership, but extra contributions will no longer be going to the ILA/PVF. I'll also not be buying NRA gift memberships for my family members any longer. I've been a member of the GOA probably as long as I have with the NRA, that's where I'll be sending my coin.

It's nothing personal against you Adam, but that's my mood, and I do believe many other's as well.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Hi Adam I would say "welcome" but it seems you are here since 2006, but it's still nice to hear from you. Love your "legal briefs"! I wish you the best of luck with your pursuit. I'm not sure how many years I have with the NRA but probably still shy of the 5 to vote, otherwise you would have mine.

I think my membership is good until March 2019? Hell I can't keep track, they ask me to renew it every month even though I'm no where near expiration. I have no intention of cancelling my membership, but extra contributions will no longer be going to the ILA/PVF. I'll also not be buying NRA gift memberships for my family members any longer. I've been a member of the GOA probably as long as I have with the NRA, that's where I'll be sending my coin.

It's nothing personal against you Adam, but that's my mood, and I do believe many other's as well.
    I've been here on and off since 06. I think this was the first gun forum I joined when I was just out of high school. Glad you're a fan of The Legal Brief.

I don't take people's decisions personally. If it were something against me, you'd probably take to slandering me in the comments section. I understand a number of people are upset and angry at the NRA, for any number of reasons. That said, I'd encourage everyone to at least continue to be a member.

You can change the organization by changing the people running it, but you have to be a member to do it. That's the part that I think most people are missing.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    I've been here on and off since 06. I think this was the first gun forum I joined when I was just out of high school. Glad you're a fan of The Legal Brief.

I don't take people's decisions personally. If it were something against me, you'd probably take to slandering me in the comments section. I understand a number of people are upset and angry at the NRA, for any number of reasons. That said, I'd encourage everyone to at least continue to be a member.

You can change the organization by changing the people running it, but you have to be a member to do it. That's the part that I think most people are missing.
    I try to avoid slandering Attorneys
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

What power does a NRA board member have since they share their power with other members on the board?
    Last edited by vinnyg101; November 12th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyg101 View Post
    What power does a NRA board member share since with fellow board members?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Share with who exactly?

(Centre County)

Adam, I supported you the last time and will again this time around. I too like your "Legal Briefs". In my case I'm a Patron member of the NRA but I don't think that holds any extra weight when voting for the board.

One thing I can say, I believe the NRA hierarchy needs to reread their statements before putting them out to the press. ie, the bump stock statement that had to be "modified/clarified". I also think the NRA could be a bit more hard line and not compromise quite as much or if they have to compromise, make sure they get something if they are going to give something (give something small up that doesn't really hurt the average gun owner to maybe get the SHARE Act passed).

Hang in there, we'll get you in and little by little we'll get the NRA back to where they should be - THE commanding force/voice for guns in America.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Adam, I supported you the last time and will again this time around. I too like your "Legal Briefs". In my case I'm a Patron member of the NRA but I don't think that holds any extra weight when voting for the board.

One thing I can say, I believe the NRA hierarchy needs to reread their statements before putting them out to the press. ie, the bump stock statement that had to be "modified/clarified". I also think the NRA could be a bit more hard line and not compromise quite as much or if they have to compromise, make sure they get something if they are going to give something (give something small up that doesn't really hurt the average gun owner to maybe get the SHARE Act passed).

Hang in there, we'll get you in and little by little we'll get the NRA back to where they should be - THE commanding force/voice for guns in America.
    Thanks for the support. Glad you enjoy The Legal Brief. The level of membership has no weight in voting.

It is my understanding that the statement was vetted by very few people before being put out. I've said publicly that I don't think they needed to make a statement at all. But they chose to do so. I'm not sure why they felt the need to address bump-fire stocks...I could have even lived with them calling for ATF to review the classification, given that there was no other possible result for it (it isn't a firearm). But stating it needed to be regulated....bad move. I think that opened up the door for Congress to make a legislative move and then put it on the NRA, regardless of whether the NRA comes out against the legislation or not.

(Chester County)

Update with attendance records of the various Board members.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Share with who exactly?

What power does a NRA board member have since they share their power with other members on the board?
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast