Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Dear State Rep; Please do something about controlling motor vehicles

Please do something (enact law) to establish motor vehicle controls. Motor vehicles are dangerous devices that are used to inflict grevous bodily harm and death. There needs to be controls, the sooner the better.

(Auto-response...Thank you for contacting me yada yada yada......)

P.S.- To POOFA..... Still waiting for a response to my October 10th communication. Well, not really waiting with any expectations.

Default Re: Dear State Rep; Please do something about controlling motor vehicles

They're doing something alright...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...newstopstories

Even though AI is lacking, well...um, intelligence.
    Researcher: ‘We Should Be Worried’ This Computer Thought a Turtle Was a Gun
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ence-one-pixel

Default Re: Dear State Rep; Please do something about controlling motor vehicles

speaking of:

(Washington County)

The self driving car raises serious ethical issues. For instance, will these cars be programmed to protect the driver and passengers at all cost, or assuming it cannot stop in time, will it be programmed to swerve away from careless pedestrians or wild animals and into a brick wall or over a cliff to avoid hitting them?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    The self driving car raises serious ethical issues. For instance, will these cars be programmed to protect the driver and passengers at all cost, or assuming it cannot stop in time, will it be programmed to swerve away from careless pedestrians or wild animals and into a brick wall or over a cliff to avoid hitting them?
    All I'm picturing with this is Mayhem on the Allstate commercial sitting in the aftermath of a collision saying "Recalculating!"

(Bucks County)

Wow! I got a real response from a real aid to the Representative:

Hello (Bang) – Representative Galloway asked me to reply to your email. I’m assuming your email is in reference to the tragedy in New York where bicyclists were run down by a man driving a rental truck. In your email you ask for controls for motor vehicles. I cannot think of any controls which would stop a driver from aiming a vehicle at a group of people riding bikes. What sort of controls would you suggest? I look forward to hearing your ideas regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Jakki Fitzmaurice
    Chief of Staff to
    State Rep. John T. Galloway
    140th Legislative District
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________

I am considering suggesting they research the 20,000 gun laws on the books. Somewhere in those there must be something that would work as well.

(Bucks County)

My reply:

Ms. J. Fitzmaurice,

Interesting that you used the term “aiming”. It’s almost as if you have let slip your recognition of the thrust of my email.

My suggestion is, since you folks seem to have no problem punishing innocent, responsible gun owners with more gun laws when someone uses a gun to inflict injuries and death, perhaps more laws covering rentals of motor vehicles would be as appropriate.

You could adopt the general format of the form 4473 that must be filled out and affirmed by signature when a firearm is purchased from an FFL.

For example, have the form ask the person applying for rental, “Do you have any intentions of using this motor vehicle to injure or kill other persons?” That would also cover using the vehicle to mow people down, transportation/setting of explosives, or alighting from the vehicle illegally armed with illegal intent.

I’m sure somewhere within the 20,000 existing gun control laws something could be modified and adapted.

Thank you for your interest.

(Fayette County)

A universal truck rental background check must be required for each truck rental. A mandatory, 10-day waiting period to rent a truck must be implemented. Rental trucks must now be limited to 10 mph max. After all, who really needs to travel more than 10 mph? Rental truck steering wheels must be retrofitted with bio-metric technology which allows only the truck renter to steer. No AUTOMATIC transmissions permitted in rental trucks.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    A universal truck rental background check must be required for each truck rental. A mandatory, 10-day waiting period to rent a truck must be implemented. Rental trucks must now be limited to 10 mph max. After all, who really needs to travel more than 10 mph? Rental truck steering wheels must be retrofitted with bio-metric technology which allows only the truck renter to steer. No AUTOMATIC transmissions permitted in rental trucks.
    You forgot about those high capacity fuel tanks. Nobody needs that much fuel. I would also propose at minimum to get rid of those paddle shifters that go up. They increase the rate at which you can shift a semi auto transmission.

(Lycoming County)

While we're at it, we need to ban diesel fuel. That's military grade fuel and isn't needed by average citizens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast