Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default I NEED a 10 inch AR upper in 555/223

Ok well maybe need is a strong word, but the desire is there. I haven't looked at AR stuff in many years. So I could really use some help figuring out exactly what I should be looking to buy, what to avoid, and where from.

I lack the tools, talent, and time to build an upper myself, so unless there's an option for assembly locally it's going to need to be a complete upper. Where would you folks suggest looking? I've already been checking out PSA to get a baseline.

What kind of twist ratio barrel should I be considering is probably my first big question.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: I NEED a 10 inch AR upper in 555/223

Ive got a 10.5" AR Pistol with a PSA upper and its been really the best AR Ive ever built.
    Thousands of round through it without a hiccup. And Half of those rounds have been Wolf Military classic ammo.
    I recommend getting one that has the chrome lined barrel and chamber.
    I'll try to post pics later.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Berks County)

Just a thought: The velocity drop from 11.5 down to 10 is notable. A factor that some might want to consider.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=118&t=509733

As far as 'building' an upper, all you need is a couple punches, pliers, a vise with a holding block, and a barrel nut wrench. Less than $100 for sure, maybe more like $60-$70. If you use a free float hand guard with a proprietary nut (like ALG) you don't even need the wrench. They have their own wrench.

(Fayette County)

Dont forget that a overall length of a pistol must be UNDER 26" long too.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

If you are not on a tight budget look at a BCM 10.5" or 11.5" upper. A 1-7 twist barrel is a good place to be. I went with a 11.5 for the extra velocity and tendency to be more reliable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Dont forget that a overall length of a pistol must be UNDER 26" long too.
    AR pistols can be any length as long as you don't attach a stock (unless you pay the man to SBR it).

The 26" applies to long guns (min OAL). If a rifle/shotgun is made shorter than 26" OAL they become SBR or SBS and need a tax stamp to be legal.
    Last edited by Hawk; November 2nd, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Monroe County)

Based on your comment about tools and talent, for a budget range toy or for plinking, PSA is the way to go. they make reasonably reliable uppers at a good price. If your going to use this for more serious things i would spend the extra and buy a BCM upper.

(Berks County)

A few years back, I got a really good deal on a Radical Firearms 10.5" upper with a Seekins rail. It was problematic until I put on an adjustable gas block. Now it runs like a champ. I would suggest getting one with the adjustable gas block - especially if you plan to run a suppressor. 1-7 twist rate is good all around twist rate for ARs. http://weaponsman.com/?p=7291

As others have mentioned, make sure you're not accidentally committing a felony by attaching the pistol upper to a lower with a stock on it that hasn't been sbr'd.

(Allegheny County)

I went with a 7.5" because the goal was "the shorterer the betterer".

Velocity? Yeah, I heard all the advice and saw all the charts. Maybe if I wanted to defend against attackers out to 100-200 yards, but MY goal was a short gun to have available if needed to be used indoors.
    If I'm worried about velocity, I'm clearly planning to shoot at a reasonable distance and if I'm planning on that I don't have a very good reason to spend money on an SBR or pistol over using a 16" carbine.
    But that's ME. We all have our reasons for doing what we do.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I went with a 7.5" because the goal was "the shorterer the betterer".

Velocity? Yeah, I heard all the advice and saw all the charts. Maybe if I wanted to defend against attackers out to 100-200 yards, but MY goal was a short gun to have available if needed to be used indoors.
    If I'm worried about velocity, I'm clearly planning to shoot at a reasonable distance and if I'm planning on that I don't have a very good reason to spend money on an SBR or pistol over using a 16" carbine.
    But that's ME. We all have our reasons for doing what we do.
    Thinking outside the box, a 300 ACC BLK in a short barrel is just as effective for a shorter range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast