Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Huntingdon County)

Default Re: AR conversion to bolt action for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post

Do not go by what they tell you on the phone- get it in writing- like I did.
    And good luck with that, it's like pulling teeth.
    I'm working on that now. I got one a from my local office, saying as long as it's "permanently" altered I could use it. I also had the way I planned on modifying it in the email, they said they were checking with the Harrisburg office to see if it qualifies as "permanent".
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

I built a 300 blackout upper with no gas tube and even put the gas block on backwards. I called the local ATF office and the headquarters game commission office and was told that this would count as a bolt gun. At my hunter safety course i told the cockbag game warden about my gun. He response was “I will draw down on you and take that weapon from you” after is explained that the ATF said it’s not a semi auto rifle and then explained how the AR upper works he told me that they are wrong and he was in the Army and he knows the AR. I then realalized that this guy can’t ever be wrong and just left. Found out I didn’t need the hunter safety course since I’m active duty.

(Erie County)

Nothing on the AR is permanently altered, unless you weld both the barrel to the upper and the gas port closed.

Short of that, the tube can be cut off the base of the gas key and the gas block installed in a way to block the gas port, with a weld.

You can't remove the whole gas key.

Showing a game officer this would be beyond sufficient unless the guy is a complete boob.

Barrel can be replaced or repaired, as well as the gas key, if you go tired of this experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

Considering the response from a WCO who does (claims to) understand an AR, what might one expect from one who does not.

I think it a fair assumption that the Game Commission does not make being a gunsmith a prerequisite to becoming a WCO.

WCO would be acting correctly by seizing a questionable rifle and submitting it to forensics for analysis, returning of gun or arrest based upon conclusion.

I believe having a backup rifle in anticipation of the form of investigation would be advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Nothing on the AR is permanently altered, unless you weld both the barrel to the upper and the gas port closed.

Short of that, the tube can be cut off the base of the gas key and the gas block installed in a way to block the gas port, with a weld.

You can't remove the whole gas key.

Showing a game officer this would be beyond sufficient unless the guy is a complete boob.

Barrel can be replaced or repaired, as well as the gas key, if you go tired of this experiment.
    you could replace the gas key with one from a piston gun or one from a blowback (9mm)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    you could replace the gas key with one from a piston gun or one from a blowback (9mm)

So you really want to confuse the bunny officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Considering the response from a WCO who does (claims to) understand an AR, what might one expect from one who does not.

I think it a fair assumption that the Game Commission does not make being a gunsmith a prerequisite to becoming a WCO.

WCO would be acting correctly by seizing a questionable rifle and submitting it to forensics for analysis, returning of gun or arrest based upon conclusion.

I believe having a backup rifle in anticipation of the form of investigation would be advisable.
    I'll say it again- there is nothing in the law that states your rifle must be PERMANENTLY altered, or even that it not be readily restored to semi-auto.
    Language to the contrary is nothing more than the PGC preempting the law.

Given their reputation for institutional mediocrity this is not surprising.
    You should always have a plan B- I would expect a minion of the fishes not to be able figure out a bowling ball, much less a complicated mechanism like a firearm.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

My plan B was my 30-30 win. I have since sold that barrel. I built a 6.8 SPCII. If we can ever use the AR that’s the gun I’m using.

Quote Originally Posted by JimDuber78 View Post
    I built a 300 blackout upper with no gas tube and even put the gas block on backwards. I called the local ATF office and the headquarters game commission office and was told that this would count as a bolt gun. At my hunter safety course i told the cockbag game warden about my gun. He response was “I will draw down on you and take that weapon from you” after is explained that the ATF said it’s not a semi auto rifle and then explained how the AR upper works he told me that they are wrong and he was in the Army and he knows the AR. I then realalized that this guy can’t ever be wrong and just left. Found out I didn’t need the hunter safety course since I’m active duty.
    That sounds like a threat. Seems you have a self defence case if he does draw on you

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    That sounds like a threat. Seems you have a self defence case if he does draw on you
    I really don’t feel like going through the process of getting custom braclets just to maybe sue the state.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast