Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Ruger sp101 in 9mm...why?

It's just another case of what's old is new again. Wheel guns chambered for semi auto rounds have been gaining back in popularity for some time. Who knows why. Probably because people (like me) are tired of seeing gun cases filled with the same boring polymer this and that. You need to look hard just see the difference at glance on many semi's today.

From a BUG perspective, having a BUG chambered in your regular carry caliber makes sense, and since they tend to be a last resort, Oh Shit thing, guess what type of gun I want for that situation (and most others)?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    . . . But with its particular configuration, I don't understand.

If it came with a larger frame and a 4-6" barrel option, I'd be on it. But again, it doesn't.

I know that 9mm is a solid cartridge...especially over 38 special. But who is this revolver supposed to appeal to? Did you read post 7?

It is too short for competition or casual target shooting. I disagree. At 10-15 yds I get 1.5" groups.

And there are just better carry options...even in the revolver world. It's a great carry piece, just a little heavy.

I'm probably overthinking this. I want to like the concept. But the execution isn't there for me. Did you read post 7? The 9mm SP101 is not for everyone, but it sure works for me and a bunch of other people. Perhaps you need to take your question to one of the Ruger forums.

-Zach

My comments in red text above.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    My comments in red text above.

Noah
    I did read post 7. I just don't want to call out dinosaurs and women because I love both of those things.

In all seriousness, how is the accuracy at 25 yards? Not a challenge or sarcastic remark. Genuinely curious.

Again, I want to like it. I love revolvers. I dig Ruger. Out of my 11 guns, 6 are Ruger (yeah, I've been downsizing). I wish it had more options. What surprises me is that Ruger will put out a 9mm revolver before a government size 1911 in 9mm.

And I can't go to the Ruger forums...That would be cheating.

-Zach

Why?

1. Because they can.
    2. Revolver collectors will buy it.
    3. Back up pistol chambered in your carry or duty caliber.
    4. Less felt recoil then the 9mm LCR which is a good seller.
    5. Because they can.

(Centre County)

...In all seriousness, how is the accuracy at 25 yards? Not a challenge or sarcastic remark. Genuinely curious. ...
    -Zach

Why worry about accuracy at 25 yds? It's a defensive firearm. You shoot someone at 25 yds or more, even if you claim self defense, the police, DA, mass media will have a field day with you. The 9mm SP101 is not a target gun, was never meant to be. What about the Ruger LC9s, Kel-Tec PF9, S&W Shield 9, or any small semi auto 9mm handgun, do you worry about their accuracy at 25 yds? If you do, why?

Like Noah said, it's a revolver thing. Myself, I just like revolvers (and shoot them very well). I own WAY more revolvers than semi-autos (grew up with SA and DA revolvers), carried a GP100 as an armed security guard, shot competition with them (PPC) and happen to collect (and show) them (Ruger Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speed Six - and Ruger even chambered these in 9mm also back then).

Revolvers are not for everyone, but those that prefer/want/need them for defensive use now have even more choices of calibers to choose from.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

9MM blows the doors off of .38 Special with regards to ballistics. Not to mention cost per round and the amount of ammo one can carry (size/weight).

Here's a primer: http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm_vs_.38special.php
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Why worry about accuracy at 25 yds? It's a defensive firearm. You shoot someone at 25 yds or more, even if you claim self defense, the police, DA, mass media will have a field day with you. The 9mm SP101 is not a target gun, was never meant to be. What about the Ruger LC9s, Kel-Tec PF9, S&W Shield 9, or any small semi auto 9mm handgun, do you worry about their accuracy at 25 yds? If you do, why?

Like Noah said, it's a revolver thing. Myself, I just like revolvers (and shoot them very well). I own WAY more revolvers than semi-autos (grew up with SA and DA revolvers), carried a GP100 as an armed security guard, shot competition with them (PPC) and happen to collect (and show) them (Ruger Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speed Six - and Ruger even chambered these in 9mm also back then).

Revolvers are not for everyone, but those that prefer/want/need them for defensive use now have even more choices of calibers to choose from.
    I can't comment on the pocket pistol accuracy. My carry is a Beretta 92fs.

I concede. Despite filling out Ruger's voice of America surveys, they have not made this gun for me.

I forgot all about the lcr in 9mm. Somehow that makes more sense to me.

-Zach

(Elk County)

In all seriousness, how is the accuracy at 25 yards?
    Using a standard NRA 50 ft bullseye target at 25 yds (75 ft), if I do my part I can keep all five in the black. Maybe 3" to 3.5" group.

Across the room I'm more concerned about.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

People keep stating that the 9mm is a better cartridge than the 38 special, (I don't disagree) but why is that ? shouldn't you be able to make a .38 hotter than a 9mm due to case size alone? or is it that the 9mm guns can handle the higher pressure - not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I'm curious. As to cost, if my SW or Ruger sp101 were chambered in 9mm, they'd get shot a lot more due to price of boolits.

Cb ???
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    People keep stating that the 9mm is a better cartridge than the 38 special, (I don't disagree) but why is that ? shouldn't you be able to make a .38 hotter than a 9mm due to case size alone? or is it that the 9mm guns can handle the higher pressure - not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I'm curious. As to cost, if my SW or Ruger sp101 were chambered in 9mm, they'd get shot a lot more due to price of boolits. Cb ???
    In short barrels like snubbies it is somewhat of a hindrance to have a lot of extra case space. That is what Federal figured out with their new .38 HST round. They use a bullet similar to a backwards HBWC and seat it deeply inside the case. This allows them to use a small charge of faster powder that burns completely and gives very low velocity spread from shot to shot.(with no fillers) In a short barrel the much higher pressure with less case capacity 9mm is just better suited. Not to mention with moon clips it loads and unloads super fast. Start making the barrel longer and using heavier bullets and the old .38 starts to catch up. In snubbies reliable expansion can really be an issue. If you can keep velocities up (to help aid expansion) with minimal recoil and low blast it is always good.
    Last edited by dkf; November 1st, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast