Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy Chassis

1 14.29%
  • New Rifle and scope

6 85.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buy chassis or new rifle?

I'm itching to change up my Savage 10 FP-SR. I really like the MDT LSS-XL chassis system. Total cost with the chassis and adjustable stock is around $800. I can get an entirely new Savage 10 BA Stealth for $900 or a Savage 10 Ashbury Precision for $1100.

What would you do buy a chassis or just get a new rifle since I am itching for a new scope too?

Default Re: Buy chassis or new rifle?

I had the chance to shoot the Savage a few weeks ago. If they weren't so scarce in the beginning when I was looking I would have bought that over the RPR.
    Chassis guns are cool but there's still a lot of work to make it perfect and you'll be well over the price tag of something that comes ready to run, and run really well right out of the box.
    Last edited by P89; October 31st, 2017 at 10:42 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Without knowing more about your intended use, it is hard to say, bit on general principle I would get a new gun. You can sell or trade the old one to help defray the cost if you choose to.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Mostly precision shooting something to go play at thunder valley precision or anywhere that might do PRS if we ever get that in Pittsburgh.

(Berks County)

Buy ammo

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    Buy ammo
    I reload lol so I have plenty of ammo. Just looking for more comfort and lighten the gun up.

(Centre County)

How does that particular Savage shoot? If it's a 1/2 MOA or better gun then I vote chassis. If it's an average shooter then sell. Hell, my Bergara HMR 6.5 CM was around $800-900 and shoots lights out. What glass are you running. A $800-1100 scope upgrade may mean a lot.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    How does that particular Savage shoot? If it's a 1/2 MOA or better gun then I vote chassis. If it's an average shooter then sell. Hell, my Bergara HMR 6.5 CM was around $800-900 and shoots lights out. What glass are you running. A $800-1100 scope upgrade may mean a lot.....
    .3-.5 MOA depending on how I am doing that day. I am mainly looking for adjustability in the LOP and cheek riser.

I am going to have to re-work my load now that I have my silencer. It opened up to about .75-1MOA with the silencer attached. Just need to decide what I want to do before I invest time in working up a new load.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    .3-.5 MOA depending on how I am doing that day. I am mainly looking for adjustability in the LOP and cheek riser.

I am going to have to re-work my load now that I have my silencer. It opened up to about .75-1MOA with the silencer attached. Just need to decide what I want to do before I invest time in working up a new load.
    If it shoots that well, I vote chassis. As I'm sure you know, you're not gonna get better groups unless you go full custom....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

I have an MDT LSS for one of my Savages...if you are willing to pay $800 on a chassis, I would say go with another company. I don't feel the MDT chassis is worth $800.

I had an XLR chassis on a Sako TRG 42 that I traded and it's a nicer chassis system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast