Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I did not know it is The Holy Grail of Rare S&Ws

Did not know the gun being auctioned is The Holy Grail of Rare S&Ws until I looked at the SCSW (Standard Catalog of S&W). I had to find out what a S&W Model 56 was.

I'd never heard of this model number S&W revolver. There isn't even one single Youtube video about this gun. there is not even a photo of it in the new SCSW. They had none. Considering the multiple videos on very Colt or Smith I started to understand how rare this Air Force revolver is. Amazing.

Turns out it is sort of a Unicorn. Then something got into me (revolver addiction is one possibility) and I started bidding and in the end it was all mine. I have been on a streak of great buys. That had been part of my thinking/rationalizing as the auction was closing and I jumped in.

The auction photos were certainly lacking. That helped me. So bidding on this was a huge risk throwing this much money at what might be or not be a fabulous revolver to add to my collection. Did I throw out a few prayers before I started bidding? Yep, I did.

56 08.jpg

215242d1507554851-s-w-model-56-b-w-213794d1507220038-have-me-committed-pix123937411.jpg

215234d1507554814-s-w-model-56-b-w-213850d1507226143-have-me-committed-20161120153559-7075.jpg
    Last edited by fimore; October 31st, 2017 at 09:00 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I did not know it is The Holy Grail of Rare S&Ws

Was it one of the "sacred relics" carried by Brother Maynard?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lycoming County)

Damm, send up the "Cruzans" symbol. I think someone finally found something he doesn't have.

Seriously, nice find though.

(Lycoming County)

I believe so. It was just in case the Holy Hand gernade failed.

(Allegheny County)

I own quite a few smith's. I never heard of this model. Nice find.

Nice find...and here I always thought of my 50th S&W as a unicorn.
    Its the only revolver I own that I have never shot.

(Lehigh County)

Excerpt from the book "Two Inch Smith & Wesson Revolvers in U.S. Military Service" by K Williams, C Flick, & E Archer, 2009:
    The Model 56
    'In 1962 the Air Force ordered a .38 Special S&W K frame revolver with adjustable target sights and a two inch heavy barrel. S&W had not produced either its Model 14 or 15 with a two inch barrel at that time. The Air Force revolver had features from both and was designated by the factory as the Model 56. It was blued, had a heavy barrel with wide rib and plain clothes (PC) stocks. Neither the back strap nor the rear sight leaf was serrated, as is found on the Model 15. The Model 56 was marked U.S. on the back strap. A matching five-digit assembly number was applied to the left side of the frame near the butt, on the yoke opposite the frame, and inside the side plate. Serials were not marked on the cylinder, extractor star, barrel flat or on the rear face of the yoke. MOD above 56 was marked on the left side of the frame opposite the yoke. No P proof mark was applied. There were 15,205 (plus a few overruns) of these guns shipped with consecutive serial numbers (K500001 through K515205), but they are rarely found in private hands. As of January, 2009 the Model 56 revolver, National Stock Number 1005-00-973-2058, remains listed in the Federal Logistics Information System as a terminal item, available for requisitioning by the Navy, subject to ordering until stocks are exhausted.'

Courtesy of http://www.beltwaygunandpawn.com/Smi...er_p_2012.html

If their price is realistic, you did good! Unless of course that is what you paid, but I do not think that is the case!
    Last edited by gghbi; October 31st, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Philadelphia County)

Y'all is/was just as in the dark as I was. And maybe some of those collectors of military sidearms are a bit jealous and green with envy. Yep.

What is a 56? It replaced the S&W Aircrewman which tended to fail. Interestingly it was used by Smith as the templet for the two inch S&W model 15 but the Air Force did not issue the model 56 before the 2" hit the market.

They were produced in 1962 and 63 for the Air Force. Some were parkerized and the rest had the standard bright blue. Issued to their CID Officers , pilots, flight crews, Officers and senior NCOs in missile silos. Basically any Air Force personnel that needed a snub nosed revolver. Most personnel were issued the 4" model 15. I have heard that some 3" model 13s were issued. Not so sure about that.

The big claim to fame is that there are few that escaped being crushed by the USAF when they went to all semi autos. (I think that was in the 90s). There are about 20 to 25 known to be in civilian possession. That is what makes the surviving models 56s so rare!

BTW It is mentioned in a SWCA publication in a article on revolvers used by US military units. However I have not seen that. So if you have a copy of that issue I would be interested in talking to you.

If anyone knows more about these please let me know.
    Last edited by fimore; October 31st, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

(Fayette County)

Thats awesome.

Sometimes I look at my military issue firearms and wish they could talk.
    Imagine some of the stories they could tell.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Cumberland County)

What? Where! When? Why wasn't I aware - lol. That is one beautiful revolver! Congrats !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"