Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Disappointed in Savage 17hmr

I won a model 93 in 17hmr last month from a sportsmans club. Finally took it out to sight in last night. I put a cheap Tasco 3x9 on it. It seemed hard to put the mag in and to chamber a round. I was shooting at 50 yards and it didn't seem to group well. I shot 2 types of ammo. After having trouble chambering the 1st round in about the 5th mag and shooting then ejecting that empty the next 4 rounds in the mag decided to eject also. Lol. I've never seen that. Hopefully a new mag will fix some of the issues but I was expecting better accuracy.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Disappointed in Savage 17hmr

Probably a silly question, but did you clean it first?

If there is a problem chambering and ejecting and accuracy is poor, contact savage and send it back.

-Zach

(Butler County)

I cleaned it prior. I looked online and see many issues with the mags. I'm going to get a new mag and shoot it again to see if I wasn't moving too much.

My Savage 93 17 HMR is a tack driver at 100 yards with a Tasco 3x9x40mm scope.Something is not right have someone else shoot it if still in accurate send it to Savage !

(York County)

I have one too that is my close range go to rifle for ground hogs it is not only a tack drive but it has the best factory trigger I've ever had in a rimfire rifle.
    Every day's a Saturday

(Forest County)

I too have a Savage 93r17, and I also have experiences the same problems with the magazine that mpyingling22 has been experiencing. Also, many times when I cycled the bolt, it would not pick up a fresh round and I would be surprised by the click of the firing pin falling on an empty chamber. This seemed to happen at least once or twice for every magazine for the first 50 or 60 rounds. However as I use the rifle more and more, the problems seem to be going away. I think a poorly designed magazine is the culprit. While my accuracy seems to be acceptable I did expect much better from a heavy barreled Savage. I have a Ruger 77/17 with a sporter barrel that will shoot minute of angle all day long. The savage barely keeps them inside 1" at 50 yards. But that too seems to be improving as I use the rifle more and more. I still love the little Savage though and will continue to use it. I believe that all of the problems will be corrected after a decent break in period.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    My Savage 93 17 HMR is a tack driver at 100 yards with a Tasco 3x9x40mm scope.Something is not right have someone else shoot it if still in accurate send it to Savage !
    Yep. I shoot the primers out of 12ga hulls at 90yrds, all day. The worst thing I ever did to it
    was clean the barrel. Groups all over the place. After 50 rnds they started to get closer, about 5-6"
    I'll never clean the barrel again.

(York County)

When mine was purchased the groups were all over the place. It was suggested to put it on a Boyd's stock and make sure the barrel was free floating. It solved all my troubles, shoots dimes at 50 yards offhand, and it's now my go to groundhog rifle. You might just want to check for stock/barrel contact.

As noted above by Ed, the trigger is as good as you'll ever find on a rim fire, and don't ever clean it, just pull a bore snake down the pipe every 100-200 rounds.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    don't ever clean it, just pull a bore snake down the pipe every 100-200 rounds.
    Thats what I did and it messed it all up.
    I'm still pissed, and its been quite a few years.
    I don't even shoot it anymore.

Mine is amazingly accurate, especially since it's a rimfire My son shot a piece of kite string in half at 25 yards with mine on the first try. We shoot 9mm cases off the target stand at 50 yrds all the time.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast