Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger BH silhouette 44/Shooting High

I need some input on this one.
    I have the 10.5" version Ruger Blackhawk in 44mag scoped and am having some issues.
    I had hand surgery over the summer so I wanted to throw some lead to see how it holds up. (My LEFT hand, not the gun). I'm right handed but I still have to grip differently than what I used to with my left hand. I can't tighten my hold as much as I used to and unlike an auto, you just can't put that hand near the cylinder or more surgery would be needed immediately.
    Long story short. Shooting off-hand, I'm hitting 6 to 8 inches high at 25 yards and off the target high at 50 yards. WITH A LONG-RANGE PISTOL NO LESS!
    So I thought I would sand-bag it and get it under control that way. This was bagging the pistol as close to the frame under the cylinder as I could get. The grip was on a small bag with bags on either side of it all on a sturdy platform at my local gun club.
    It still shoots high! I cranked the cheap Bushnell Trophy LER scope down but to no avail. This is using three different factory ammo selections at 240, 230 and 185gr. I didn't try out beyond 50 yards. The windage is good but the elevation is way out. It was set up to hit 2" high at 50 yards using American Eagle 240gr hunting rounds. (JHP's). I had no 44 spl to fling out of it. Everything is tight. Nothing loose!
    Is it muzzle flip? Scope issue? Do I suck? Combination?
    I could hit 50 yards all day within 5 inches before it was put away.
    Really frustrated......again!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger BH silhouette 44/Shooting High

Since you said you had hand surgery, even though it's not on your shooting hand, I would first have someone else shoot the gun. First from the sandbag rest then off hand. If the iron sights are still on it, pull the scope and see what happens. If you shot the Ruger ok before your surgery, and now don't, well I think you know the answer. You did say that you need to grip it differently now, that also might be a contributing factor. Also, how long has it been since you last shot it? It may be that you just need to get some more practice with it with your "new" grip.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Nothing wrong with Bushnell Tropy scopes. I have one on a Super Redhawk for 20+ years shooting heavy 240-300 grain bullets. Still rock solid. I also have other Bushnell scopes on T/C Contenders, again rock solid.

Could the scope go bad? Sure. Like others have said,let someone else shoot it and see how they do.

I also have a Super Blackhawk that isn’t scoped, but at 50 yards it shoots way high with the 240-300 grain bullets. I have the rear iron sight pretty much bottomed out. With the 200 grain bullets, it’s dead on.

I’m going to guess the issue is with you and your grip due to the surgery.

Well when the monsoons let up , I'll head out again...........with a friend.
    I'll let him get used to the recoil and shoot off-hand and sandbagged and see what happens.
    Thanks for the input!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!