Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Carry on strike in front of school(public sidewalk)

So recently I was asked if a teacher, while on strike could carry. They would not be on school property, but definately in front of the school. I know there are some gray areas with school zones, destinations, and such.

Default Re: Carry on strike in front of school(public sidewalk)

If said teacher has a ltcf then they are exempt from the 1000ft rule.

(Allegheny County)

Next thread topic:

I was arrested with a gun while on strike in front of a school. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer?

(Montgomery County)

The sidewalk in front of my house is mine. It is on my property, which runs all the way to the street. I am responsible for its upkeep.
    I assume the same applies to the sidewalk in front of a school. In fact, I cross the street when walking my dog past my neighborhood school.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The sidewalk in front of my house is mine. It is on my property, which runs all the way to the street. I am responsible for its upkeep. I assume the same applies to the sidewalk in front of a school.
    Why would the sidewalk in front of a school be yours?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The sidewalk in front of my house is mine. It is on my property, which runs all the way to the street. I am responsible for its upkeep. I assume the same applies to the sidewalk in front of a school.
    All of which is immaterial since there is a public easement on the property in question. The sidewalk in front of your house may indeed be yours, maintenance and snow removal requirements included, but you can no more stop a perfect stranger from using your sidewalk than you could stopping another perfect stranger (possibly the same one) from parking on the street in front of your house (without blocking your driveway).

Feel free to use the sidewalk along the public street in front of the school.

As to the original question asked, it may be legal, but would it be wise, especially if it was openly carried?

(Berks County)

I am sure that the school district would consider the side walk on their property. You also need to think about the fact that the school board probably has a no gun for teachers policy. If they get caught, I figure that they will just terminate the teacher under their policies. Regardless of the arrest probability. Final thought is " are there any laws about being on a picket line while armed. " During the coal mining days in Pennsylvania, that almost always occurred and many bad things have been documented. Maybe the politicians have addressed that issue after a couple of massacres.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    I am sure that the school district would consider the side walk on their property.
    And I'm sure you consider the sidewalk (one word, not two) in front of your house to be your property. Again, a public easement exists on said sidewalk, and for legal purposes "school grounds" starts where the sidewalk ends and the grass begins.

You also need to think about the fact that the school board probably has a no gun for teachers policy. If they get caught, I figure that they will just terminate the teacher under their policies.
    And the policy covers teachers while on school grounds or conducting school activities off school grounds.

Final thought is " are there any laws about being on a picket line while armed. "
    As long as they picket legally and properly, no.

During the coal mining days in Pennsylvania, that almost always occurred and many bad things have been documented. Maybe the politicians have addressed that issue after a couple of massacres.
    And if you research the West Virginia and Colorado massacres of miners and other participants, you'll discover it was the government conducting the massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Why would the sidewalk in front of a school be yours?
    He's saying the sidewalk in front of the school is school property that's why he crosses the street in front of the school. SMH
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    He's saying the sidewalk in front of the school is school property that's why he crosses the street in front of the school. SMH
    *woosh!!!*

I know what he was saying (;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast