Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Homeland Security Teams Up With Sesame Street

Original Article

Big Brother and Big Bird

When it comes to securing the homeland, who better to help you sleep at night than various characters from the popular children’s show, “Sesame Street" ... ?!?

Seriously.

In a move that will make Bush administration detractors bring back those duct tape jokes again, the Department of Homeland Security has partnered up with the famous children’s show

“We all want our children to feel safe in this world,” said Meryl Chertoff, wife of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, at a ceremony held at the John Tyler Elementary School to announce the partnership. "And who better to do that than our Sesame Street friends, Grover and Rosita!”

“I always knew that [Mr. and Mrs. Chertoff] would be big muppet Muppett supporters!” said Sesame Workshop CEO Gary Knell.

As you can imagine, the partnership is aimed at children, and seeks to encourage family preparedness plans in the case of emergencies.

“Family preparedness is the cornerstone of personal and community readiness,” said Secretary Chertoff in a statement (he was scheduled to attend the event, but has been busy handling the aftermath of Hurricane Ike in Texas). “And we could not be more pleased to team up with Sesame Workshop.”

But perhaps Grover puts it best in his introductory remarks, published in a pamphlet titled, “Let’s Get Ready!”

“I, your furry, blue friend Grover, have a story to share. Are you wondering what it is about? I will give you an itty-bitty hint: It is about getting ready for emergencies! Oh boy, that was a big hint. Do you want to get ready, too? You do? Oh, I am so pleased. Then read this story with me, and let us get ready together!”
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Homeland Security Teams Up With Sesame Street

I actually think this is a good thing. Families need to be more prepared. Why not get something like Sesame Street to help educate kids?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I actually think this is a good thing. Families need to be more prepared. Why not get something like Sesame Street to help educate kids?
    Because it is only a matter of time until they are telling kids to spy on their parents....
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtCriminal View Post
    Because it is only a matter of time until they are telling kids to spy on their parents....
    Take your tinfoil hat off for a minute. Go get a drink of ice water and come back to reality. That's not going to happen. We don't have Hugo Chavez or Castro in the Oval Office.

(Chester County)

I find this partnership to be odd, at best, disturbing at the least. I mean on the surface it seems like a good idea, families should be more prepared for emergencies, however i feel like the DHS getting involved seems a bit ominous.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtCriminal View Post
    I don't think you need to wear a tinfoil hat to see that having a super-powerful government agency in a direct partnership with a popular T.V. show aimed at children at their most impressionable age is not a good idea.

I thought it was a joke before I clicked the link. Nothing funny about it.

P-11where'sthepunchline?SHOOTER

(Allegheny County)

I'm so glad I don't have mindless, government/media-controlled drones - I mean, children.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!