Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How Does Hunting Survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    And how many hours of training does it take ???
    I have no idea.

Sure I can take anyone out in an area I'm familiar with put them in a spot and say shoot straight when you see a deer . That would just make that person a killer of an animal Not a hunter.
    Right. So I'd say your training class sucks, and you should be ashamed at offering your services as a trainer in hunting.

You seem to be suggesting that it isn't possible to train someone how to hunt, or how to be a hunter - which is a ridiculous proposition.

(Berks County)

I'm sure I can learn.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I'm sure I can learn.
    I don't recall......did you take a HSC, and ready to hunt with the exception of knowledge and some basic equipment?

(Berks County)

HSC. Yes
    Rifles. Yes
    Crossbow. Soon

Knowledge. In need of.

HSC. Yes
    Rifles. Yes
    Crossbow. Soon

Knowledge. In need of.
    Then your're basically there. It's not rocket science. If you need gear now is a great time to look. This is also a good time to begin some scouting. The woods are quiet. The deer are near food sources. Add a little snow and its a good day in the woods. Don't wait too long. It will be June before you know it. Don't forget to put in for doe tags.
    I highly recommend taking full advantage of the early seasons. Hunting is easier. The deer are relaxed. You have plenty of time to adjust. Take a doe and get comfortable with it.

(Berks County)

I bought a bib and a nice jacket as well so I should be warm. What other gear to start? Do I need an orange hat/bib? That whole thing confuses me.

Early season for sure with a crossbow, that is how I will start.

Big issue is where? Where can I scout? I don't own any land.

For rifle season orange hat and vest minimum 250 square inches visible for 360 degrees.
    Archery the same only during the overlap with early muzzle loader when not on stand(walking in and out basically) While on stand you need to mark your location with orange, 100 square inches I think, visible for 360 degree.
    You only need to where an orange hat while not on stand during the fall turkey overlap.

Hit sgl's and state forests. Don't be afraid to walk.
    Knock on some doors and ask to hunt., although to be honest I would be hesitant to allow a newbie to hunt.
    Join a hunting lease.

(Susquehanna County)

A - Now is the time to buy your Orange hunting jacket/cap.. all on sale now the seasons are done !!!
    Try to get a 3 season jacket if you can

B - search for and take the required Hunter Safety Course. You MUST complete that to get a license

C - nobody touched on this. This past season was the 1st year of the Adult Mentored Hunt.. yes just like the Youth Mentor Hunt, adults can 1 time go hunting with a licensed hunter and harvest a deer without taking the Hunter Safety Course (HSC)

D - find an area to hunt and spend time there Spring and Summer to know where the critters are moving. Put up trail cam and get the times they are moving. If you can start a food plot to bring them in on a regular reoccurring basis

E - don't waste money hype and top tech crap. I have an old Winchester jacket I got off Ebay new 10 yrs ago - never washed.. I hunt with a $80 - 1932 Mosin-Nagant Hex and Softtip ammo and a Crossbow I got cheap before they were allowed for everyone.

F - I have an old back pack with a gut knife, nitrile gloves I procured when my Dentist left me alone. I put a couple bottles of water, one of those warming fart cushions and snacks in there. And Between critters and crazy people, always have a handgun on my side, specially when bow hunting.

G - Unless you bait or spend countless hours in your area, you are NOT going to get a deer every year.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lehigh County)

I bought a bib and a nice jacket as well so I should be warm. What other gear to start? Do I need an orange hat/bib? That whole thing confuses me.

Early season for sure with a crossbow, that is how I will start.

Big issue is where? Where can I scout? I don't own any land.
    Yes to a orange (or orange camo pattern) hat as rules require orange on head and chest. The most important item I found was good footwear and socks, if you have cold, wet feet it does not matter what the rest of you feels like! I moved from treated leather to gore tex lined and insulated boots and found it made life out in the woods a lot nicer.

When I first started I was wearing my Carhartt work clothes and since they were brown, used an orange vest and hat. Later I got the bib and jacket and that made things nicer. One thing to consider, believe it or not is an orange T shirt or light weight shirt, which I have actually used on some of the warmer days during deer season. I have a nice orange flannel which works well in moderate temperatures.

Where? That is always a challenge. PA state game lands are always there. I and my brothers started out on these and found a little bit of walking can really help you get away from the rush, which usually tapers off fast after the first few days of the season. As people you know find out you are a deer hunter, you may find acquaintances and/or co-workers who can help in finding private land to hunt. Hunting is a social event, even if you spend some time alone in the woods, that is why 'deer camp' is such an event for many folks. Sharing the adventures and disasters is one of the joys of hunting,

Good luck, keep on trucking!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Susquehanna County)

Many farmers in the Northern counties allow hunting.. just go talk to them.. also if you hunt private land, I always give one back strap or loin to the owner for the priviledge
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast