Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Can my friend legally transport my firearms with a note giving him my permission?

Does anyone know the legal answer to this question: Can my friend legally transport my firearms with a note giving him my permission?
    I have separated from wife and my weapons remain at her house. She will allow my friend to pick-up my firearms and drive them locally to my new home. Is he allowed to do this without a LTC?
    She wrote me: ". . . according to the Allegheny County firearms site, transport of your concealed weapons can be transported with your permission."
    I believe she was referring to this FAQ on the Allegheny County Sheriff's website ( http://www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms_FAQ.html ): Q: Does the gun have to be mine in order for me to legally carry it? A: No. So long as you have permission from the owner, you can carry it. This is very common between family members, such as husband/wife, etc.
    Humility is endless. T.S. Eliot

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Can my friend legally transport my firearms with a note giving him my permission?

Quote Originally Posted by KT-11 View Post
    Can my friend legally transport my firearms with a note giving him my permission?

Is he allowed to do this without a LTC?
    No and no.

Default Re: Can my friend legally transport my firearms with a note giving him my permission?

An LTCF holder can legally borrow a handgun from another PA resident; there's an exception in the UFA for that. If you have the license to carry, it applies to any firearm that you're legally able to possess, not just one "registered" to you in any sense.

A non-LTCF holder not only can't borrow a handgun, he can't transport it, he can't transport his OWN handgun in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, outside of a few very narrow exceptions (you can take it directly home after you buy it from a licensed dealer, for example.)

In order to be able to carry someone else's gun, you first would have to be legally able to carry one of your own. Without an LTCF, he can't. And the narrow exceptions don't include "from your friend's ex-wife's house to some other place".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

What happened to the exception allowing one to move his firearms from a residence to a new residence? Is the ex living in the home you both used to share? If so, you should be able to move them to your new residence, no LTCF required. Why are you getting someone else to do it? Is there a PFA? Is she just being recalcitrant?

If you need to get someone else to do it, and for some reason you cannot move the guns to your new residence, how about hiring an FFL to pick them up, take them to his shop to clean them, and turn them over to you. You most certainly can transport from a licensed gun repair facility to your residence.
    Last edited by Bang; October 24th, 2017 at 05:57 PM.

Your best bet will be for your wife to place them in your vehicle. Pop the trunk and have her place everything in there, and drive off. No need to even speak if that is how it has to be.

(Venango County)

If it's a matter of your wife not wanting to be around you at all (whether spitefully or for good reason), can't the exchange of any property be done with the presence of law enforcement until it is completed? It would require you to be there, though. The Allegheny website is too general and the first two posters gave you the straight poop. IANAL but GunLawyer001 is, lol! Bang's idea about an FFL could work but be straight with them as to why.

Bang, if he were subject to a PFA, would he not be required to hand them over to a sheriff or third party approved by the sheriff until the PFA is removed or resolved?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Bucks County)

I don't know. I don't know if the fearful party has to articulate the fear of weapons, or if it is automatic. I was just kind of sensing that there is a reason he isn't going himself.

(Wyoming County)

This is a crappy situation maybe she could leave them with a friendly FFL and the OP could pick them up? Just spitballing trying to be helpful.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Pike County)

Hows-about your friend drive you over, you stay in the car he/or/she can place everything in his trunk and drive you and your firearms to your new place?

(Bucks County)

It should be OK for your friend to pick up the guns and drive to a shooting range. You can meet him at the range and take your firearms home.

Yes this is a "loophole" but there really should not be a law against what you are tying to do.

I don't know the details of your divorce but it is probably not a good idea to go to her house (even just parked in a car) if she doewsn't want you to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast