Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Constable Questions / Firearms Questions

I am currently certified in VA as unarmes security, armed security, and police officer. I just moved to Pennsylvania, and am interested in becoming a constable.

I have already looked at thw laws, rules, regulations, ans process.

My two questions are as follows;
    01). Are constables legally allowed to carry rifles or shotguns? I ask because I cannot find a yes or a no kn the code of pa. PA code is a lot less specific on a lot of things than VA.

02). If one is already manufacturer certifies in OC and baton at the tkme of election/appointment, must they still take those classes to carry them for court work, or can they waiver out of them?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Constable Questions / Firearms Questions

Quote Originally Posted by USMCxSTC View Post
    I am currently certified in VA as unarmes security, armed security, and police officer. I just moved to Pennsylvania, and am interested in becoming a constable.

I have already looked at thw laws, rules, regulations, ans process.

My two questions are as follows;
    01). Are constables legally allowed to carry rifles or shotguns? I ask because I cannot find a yes or a no kn the code of pa. PA code is a lot less specific on a lot of things than VA.

02). If one is already manufacturer certifies in OC and baton at the tkme of election/appointment, must they still take those classes to carry them for court work, or can they waiver out of them?
    Answer to 01 - YES; the answer is in the statutes below.

The general prohibition:
    18 Pa CS § 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating
    to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver,
    shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section
    6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions
    of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the
    requirement of a license to carry firearms under section
    6106(b)(1),
    (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be
    carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this
    section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a
    vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    Philadelphia proscription:

18 Pa CS§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    An the bolded exception:

18 Pa CS 6106(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
    apply to:
    (1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or
    their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its
    political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
    Those are the only two prohibitions for carrying loaded rifle/shotguns (except the Game code which is inapplicable) and Constables are exempt from both.
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 24th, 2017 at 12:52 PM.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Here is a list of 8 constables that serve the general area. May I suggest calling them and asking your questions. There is an association they might point you to that should have an overview. You might want to tell them you are interested in state constable so they don't fear you plan on running against them.

https://www.yellowpages.com/waynesboro-pa/constables

(Washington County)

1: Legally allowed, yes, however the Constables Education and Training Board will only certify you to carry handguns, it's up to you to pay for your own rifle and shotgun LEO certification.

2: OC and baton training are included in the initial free training provided by the Constables Education and Training Board.

Note: You can only be a constable in your township/city, so if your area already has a constable, you will have to wait until the next election or buddy up to them and become their deputy. Constables, like Sheriffs, appointment their own deputies with approval from Presiding County Judge.

Yes, I'm a PA Certified State Constable.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Answer to 01 - YES; the answer is in the statutes below.

The general prohibition:

Philadelphia proscription:

An the bolded exception:

Those are the only two prohibitions for carrying loaded rifle/shotguns (except the Game code which is inapplicable) and Constables are exempt from both.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if there were any codes I was missing. In Virginia there's the commonwealth constitution, commonwealth code (state laws), and an administratie code. The alw says security, bounty hunters, police, ect, must be certified, but then you have to go into the admin code to get the specifics of certification or profession specific details. Like the laws say we hae to be fire arm certified, but the adiin code goes over what types of firearms, ammo calibers, details of the certification tests, ect.

I was making sure there wasn't such a thing in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    1: Legally allowed, yes, however the Constables Education and Training Board will only certify you to carry handguns, it's up to you to pay for your own rifle and shotgun LEO certification.

2: OC and baton training are included in the initial free training provided by the Constables Education and Training Board.

Note: You can only be a constable in your township/city, so if your area already has a constable, you will have to wait until the next election or buddy up to them and become their deputy. Constables, like Sheriffs, appointment their own deputies with approval from Presiding County Judge.

Yes, I'm a PA Certified State Constable.
    I am aware of the residency requirements. But I was curious if we could skip/waiver out if we already HAVE those certifications.

(Jefferson County)

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there were any codes I was missing. In Virginia there's the commonwealth constitution, commonwealth code (state laws), and an administratie code. The alw says security, bounty hunters, police, ect, must be certified, but then you have to go into the admin code to get the specifics of certification or profession specific details. Like the laws say we hae to be fire arm certified, but the adiin code goes over what types of firearms, ammo calibers, details of the certification tests, ect.

I was making sure there wasn't such a thing in PA.

I am aware of the residency requirements. But I was curious if we could skip/waiver out if we already HAVE those certifications.
    Generally, No. PA Constables(Act 49), Sheriffs(Act 2), and Municipal Police(Act 120) have to go to the respective prescribed PA classes for PA certification. Each of which is a different certification. However, Act 120(Municipal Police) may cover the Sheriff and Constable certifications with it being a more stringent certification.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Generally, No. PA Constables(Act 49), Sheriffs(Act 2), and Municipal Police(Act 120) have to go to the respective prescribed PA classes for PA certification. Each of which is a different certification. However, Act 120(Municipal Police) may cover the Sheriff and Constable certifications with it being a more stringent certification.
    I believe the PCCD will allow you to take the Act 49 training without being elected, but you have to pay for the cost of the classes up front, and no refund even if you do get elected. One of the constables in my basic class had done that based on his plan of hitting the ground running when he did get elected. However he didn't get elected that cycle, and when he was elected later, had to take the Basic class again because it had been too long.

But no, even if you take the classes and get certified, you won't be able to work as a constable until you are either elected, or appointed by a Court of Common Pleas judge, or appointed as a deputy constable by an elected constable. And as Knight said, only the certs from PA count for constable.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I believe the PCCD will allow you to take the Act 49 training without being elected, but you have to pay for the cost of the classes up front, and no refund even if you do get elected. One of the constables in my basic class had done that based on his plan of hitting the ground running when he did get elected. However he didn't get elected that cycle, and when he was elected later, had to take the Basic class again because it had been too long.

But no, even if you take the classes and get certified, you won't be able to work as a constable until you are either elected, or appointed by a Court of Common Pleas judge, or appointed as a deputy constable by an elected constable. And as Knight said, only the certs from PA count for constable.
    Also, cant the person in charge of elections in his area appoint him as a deputy constable?
    Even if it was temporary, might get his foot in the door.
    Just a thought....
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Also, cant the person in charge of elections in his area appoint him as a deputy constable?
    Even if it was temporary, might get his foot in the door.
    Just a thought....
    My understanding of election day constables is they are appointed for the 1 day only. And they still have to be approved by a CCP judge for that. At least according to the paperwork that I get sent from the Board of Elections / Voter Services people, in case I need to appoint one.

And while he could take the classes, the PCCD won't issue him a cert card until he gets elected/appointed. And I can't see an MDJ giving him any work without it.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    My understanding of election day constables is they are appointed for the 1 day only. And they still have to be approved by a CCP judge for that. At least according to the paperwork that I get sent from the Board of Elections / Voter Services people, in case I need to appoint one.

And while he could take the classes, the PCCD won't issue him a cert card until he gets elected/appointed. And I can't see an MDJ giving him any work without it.
    Good point.
    It would be nice if they opened up the language for being a constable and made it a little more accessible to more people would be a good idea.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast