Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Plated Bullets vs. Lead

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Wow, thanks Yoder, I thought I've visited every bullet site on the webz, the Precision Delta looks promising, I will give the 40's a shot the next time I tool up the progressive for a run of a thousand.
    my problem is not many places cater to the "best magnum" the .41, which is the bulk of my reloading, and I usually piggy back other calibers to the order
    To get the low price from Precision Delta you have to buy 2k. Then they will also give you free shipping. Missouri bullet company has cheap polymer coated bullets for magnums. I've shot about 800 through my .44 mag and they are great. No leading and pretty accurate. I don't know about the .41 but check it out. Last major purchase for me was from Blue Bullets. I wound up getting 125gr polymer coated 9mm for about $60/1000 free shipping. I had to order 10k to get that price.

I'll check out Steel Valley Casting next time I buy.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Beaver County)

Thanks Yoder,

I'll take care of any you guys and gals on the forum. Just give me a shout.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

If you get any leading at THOSE velocities you are doing something wrong: bullets too small, alloy too hard, or lube is not working well.
    I find plated to be waste of money. None I have tried come close to the accuracy of cast or swaged lead bullets or jacketed bullets.
    If you want fantastic but inexpensive jacketed bullets, contact Precision Delta and order 2000+ of what you want.
    If you want to try coated lead bullets, contact Precision Bullets. These are swaged for uniform dimensions and weight and the coating works perfectly (they are using an "improved" coating now, but since there was no issue to improve, I can only assume the addition of hex boron nitride may improve slickness and velocity. Who knows.
    Otherwise, discuss any issues with the bullet caster—the odds are VERY high that your bullets are about 5 BHN too hard and 0.001" too small.
    For 9x19 I use 0.357-0.358" lead bullets in all of them, even WWII P-38s and pre-WWII P-08s with no issues. I find that 0.356-0.357 jacketed work the best.
    If you have to try plated, be sure they are at least 0.001" over your gun's actual measured groove diameter (just like lead bullets), unless they are thick plated to jacketed bullet thickness. A really great 9x19 bullet has been the Zero 121gn 38 Super JHP.
    For .45, I use swaged bullets, either from Zero or the swaged and coated bullets from Precision Bullets. For accuracy, it would be very hard to beat the 200gn L-SWC from either company.

(Tioga County)

Just standing on the outside looking in at those that use plated or lead bullets, it always seems to me they are fussing with sizing issues, leading, velocities, reliability issues, etc. I always use jacketed bullets from Sierra, Hornady, Speer and others and don't have these problems. I just sit around waiting for the big blowout sales once or twice a year and jump on em. This year I bought a bazillion of Speer 9mm FMJ bullets for seven cents a piece, I'll be shooting those for years to come.

(Montgomery County)

Check out Rocky Mountain Reloading. Good prices and free shipping. I have dealt with them alot. Good people. And they have 10% and 15% sales frequently.
    I have so many toys because my wife wont let me have a girlfriend.......

(Lackawanna County)

It depends on caliber and velocity. If its a slow mover and subsonic etc ill run coated. If its a hot round like a 223 or 308 etc I run plated or jacketed.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH;3658852.
    Reason I shoot lead is they are cheaper than FMJ bullets. What is the advantage of a copper plated bullet? The cost is a little more than lead, but not as much as a FMJ.
    i am so cheap, I cast my own. 45ACP about a 15 cents each, powder, primer, and wad. 357 mag hollow point to boot, about a dime. even the might 45/70, not even a quarter. Price per rpund

Like drum brakes can be as good as discs (when tuned right), The boolit must be fit to each barrel.
    Speed? I drive 430 gr flat nose to 1750fps win zero change of leading.

Advantages of plated or FMJ (which is the same on the side walls). Less mess. Both making them and shooting them.
    Easier and faster to reload.

When the bullet meets the bone, same same
    A 430 grains of lead going 1450fps will penetrate 8ft 6in of meat @ 100 yards

(Washington County)

Ive been shooting coated blue bullets in 9mm, 45, and 38/357 for awhile now. They function great, minimal smoke when fired, minimal build up in the barrel. Ill never go back to plated projectiles which I used to load.

(Susquehanna County)

I get very good performance from DucatiRon's (Steel Valley Casting) coated bullets, for a while now. 147 gr .38, 124 gr. 9mm and two flavors of .45 in 200 gr one sized UP to .454 dia. for my revolver. I make IDPA's "old" power factor with all of them.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

I've been shooting coated bullets now for 3 or 4 years and it's been 100% good, don't see a reason to do otherwise.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast