Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Reloading Bench.

I am looking for ideas on a reloading bench/desk setup, I did a search on here and most of the post are old and pictures will not show. The wife gave me the green light to make the spare bedroom into a reloading /gun room. I am looking for more of a desk type setup that will not break the bank. I was told my current table I use now that is in the garage is not allowed in the room lol.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading Bench.

Someone turned me on to this a few years ago. Best deal for a solid bench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Signatur...2X22/203083493

I bolted the back to the wall, and it is rock solid. You can hardly buy the lumber and fasteners for this price.

(Lackawanna County)

I made my own. 4x4s for legs and then 2x4s for bracing etc. then I used a double layer of oak ply for the top. Put it in place and bolted it to the wall.

(Bucks County)

I can't tell how much your wife will influence the design process , but one approach that can be useful, stable, and pass the critical eye of the architect in chief is a couple of kitchen cabinet base units and a counter top (on sale). Good buys can often be found on leftovers, cancellations, etc.

Otherwise, the bench linked above or similar from (eg) Harbor Freight can be made very stable by bolting them to wall studs. That can be done without removing or cutting baseboard molding by using a spacer behind the legs or the rear of the benchtop itself, and either through-bolting or using angle brackets.

ETA: If there's carpet in that spare bedroom, the problem gets a little more complex in two ways . . . static electricity, primers, dopped powder, and GSR hide well in carpets, and it can be more difficult to get the bench stable when the legs are on carpet.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; October 24th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Ive been looking around might try a desk, like this https://www.amazon.com/Love-Grace-Wo...=computer+desk

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jasons85gt View Post
    Ive been looking around might try a desk, like this https://www.amazon.com/Love-Grace-Wo...=computer+desk
    While a computer desk may be more aesthetically pleasing to the wife, it lacks the structural rigitity necessary for a reloading bench.

You need a very solid base and a thick top to hold a reloading press. Also, vibration and movement are bad for powder scales. Read up a little on reloading benches before settling for an office-type desk.

If necessary, you can paint, stain, or otherwise tart up a workbench like the one I linked above in order to make it more palatable.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Someone turned me on to this a few years ago. Best deal for a solid bench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Signatur...2X22/203083493

I bolted the back to the wall, and it is rock solid. You can hardly buy the lumber and fasteners for this price.
    If you buy this work bench I would add 2x4 supports under the top every 16".

(Westmoreland County)

If you can find an older solid wood office desk and when I say older I mean like 1970's or older they are generally built like a bank vault sturdy and all oak construction . Lots of storage in the drawers too . Keep and eye out on CL and estate sales ect they can be had for a decent price but they are heavy so bring a friend . The one I had from the 60's prob weighted 250 plus lbs.

I went with the Seville line at Sam's Club. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-...prod1490086.ip Butcher block top, adjustable feet for leveling, heavy and stable. Threw some shelves on part of it and hung peg board behind it. Eventually, I will get the rolling cabinet that fits underneath it (https://www.samsclub.com/sams/6-draw...lp:product:1:4).
    I do need to put some lighting on it though, the basement is not well lit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    If you buy this work bench I would add 2x4 supports under the top every 16".
    It really doesn’t need fortification, but I did screw and glue a 1 1/2” rectangle of plywood on the underside of the 1” MDF top, in the areas where the press and bench primer are bolted through. The problem with 2x4s is you would have to screw and glue them through the top, making a mess of the surface. Also, they would interfere with anything that needs to be bolted to the surface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast