Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Nickel vs. Regular Brass

I have always preferred non-nickel brass. Never had a reason, just preferred it. I know the argument has been corrosion protection, but I have not ever had any problem w/ corrosion.

Seems like the price for used brass is about 25% for nickel, at least for 45 ACP.

Any downside in nickel?

Default Re: Nickel vs. Regular Brass

I had some .357 that split when I tried to crimp them.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have always preferred non-nickel brass. Never had a reason, just preferred it. I know the argument has been corrosion protection, but I have not ever had any problem w/ corrosion.

Seems like the price for used brass is about 25% for nickel, at least for 45 ACP.

Any downside in nickel?
    I got my hands on about 1000 pieces of nickel .45 ACP, some of which have now been reloaded at least 5 times. I have carbide dies and they don't complain, though I need just a *hair* more oomph on the lever for the resizing die.

If you shoot in sandy environments it's easier to see nickel on the ground than brass, especially if you only tumble your brass for "clean" and not "shiny".

So, other than price, no real down side.

Worth the price? Hard to say, I got mine free.

My 2˘

(Bucks County)

Oddly, my experience with .38 SPL cases is opposite. Running brass thru the carbide die takes a certain feel. The same pressure applied to a nickel case is too much. Nickel plated .38 Spl brass is slicker than snot. That brings me to wonder about the case's ability to maintain a hold on the chamber wall during firing. If it slips easier (sooner) it may have an effect on the battering component of firing a round, or translate to wearing of chambers. Never saw anything about this, just thoughts...

(Luzerne County)

I've reloaded a lot of nickel .357 Magnum brass......never an issue. I'm also loading Federal 7-30 Waters brass in nickel with no issues.

(Wyoming County)

This might be a stupid idea, but most of my nickle comes from carry ammo, therefore when I reload carry bullets I put them in the nickle stuff.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    This might be a stupid idea, but most of my nickle comes from carry ammo, therefore when I reload carry bullets I put them in the nickle stuff.
    If I reloaded carry ammo, I would certainly use nickel.

It's great if you want to spend more money and have your cases crack sooner. They are very shiny.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Susquehanna County)

Haven't noticed a down side to nickeled over brass. In fact I have some nickeled cases that have been reloaded so many times half the nickel has been worn off. On the plus side I find the nickeled stuff to be easier to find after shooting.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Haven't noticed a down side to nickeled over brass. In fact I have some nickeled cases that have been reloaded so many times half the nickel has been worn off. On the plus side I find the nickeled stuff to be easier to find after shooting.
    Same here. I have reloaded nickel plated casings in rifle and pistol several times and in the .38 spl, some of the nickel is wearing through. Nickel plated seems to hold up as long as brass and are easier to find on the ground when dropped or shot.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast