Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Anybody Changing Carry Gun Due To Recent Activities?

Recent activities meaning mass shootings, radicalized jihadists, etc.

My primary reason for carrying was to protect myself from a BG who would have a handgun. My 1911 w/ 8+1 rounds was more than enough ammo as I did not see myself getting into an extended firefight. Long before I expended my 9 rounds I would expect the either the BG going down, or me.

Now, I do have concerns that the BG may be a radicalized crazy that has planned out his onslaught. Although I know that a pistol is no match for a rifle, I do envision scenarios where more than 9 rounds would be necessary. By carrying my Hi-Power I have 15+1, almost twice of what I have w/ my 1911. The Hi-Power carries just as well as the 1911.

Yes, I know that I can carry extra magazines and probably will start doing that. The argument is still the same - twice the ammo. Two extra magazines gives me 46 rounds w/ the Hi-Power as compared to 27 w/ the 1911.

Yes I do think that a 45 is a superior caliber IF the BG is not wearing body armor. With body armor, a 9 is just as effective as a 45, and shooting center mass is not an option. Time for head, pelvis or thigh shots. A radicalized BG is more likely to have body armor than the 'traditional' BG.

Anyone else thinking about changing their carry gun from a 45 to a 9 because of the above?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anybody Changing Carry Gun Due To Recent Activities?

Realistically speaking you're unlikely to need to use your defensive firearm. You're even more unlikely to use it against a mass shooter or terrorist.

That said, I'd rather have more rounds of 9 than less of 45. I do agree with your decisions assuming you shoot both equally well.

Haven't changed my setup, I'm either at 16-24 total of 9 with a single stack, or 30-46 with a double depending on how many spare mags are in my pocket.

One word if GOD forbid you are near any active shooter with a high powered rifle,COVER ! Run for cover !

(Lancaster County)

Carry gun won't be changing, but the recent activities around the country have most def made me decide to take trauma med courses this winter.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

I am not changing anything, because statistics. Plus, as a gun owner that often uses the steadily declining rate of violent crime in the US, plus the extremely low number of people killed with modern sporting rifles, as arguments against gun control, why would I then change what I carry in contradiction to those facts?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I am not changing anything, because statistics. Plus, as a gun owner that often uses the steadily declining rate of violent crime in the US, plus the extremely low number of people killed with modern sporting rifles, as arguments against gun control, why would I then change what I carry in contradiction to those facts?
    Yea but have you factored in the bump fire stock epidemic? You at least need a bayonet on your glock rail.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lancaster County)

Because statistically few of us have a need to carry at all. The chance I’ll ever need to have a gun on my person is statistically extremely low so why bother?
    Justin Case

It’s kinda arguing that we are all a bunch of wannabes hoping for a shoot em up

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Because statistically few of us have a need to carry at all. The chance I’ll ever need to have a gun on my person is statistically extremely low so why bother?
    Justin Case

It’s kinda arguing that we are all a bunch of wannabes hoping for a shoot em up
    I disagree. It's all a matter of the what if scenario. Would you rather a. Decide to not carry, and if shit goes down, forever regret not being able to defend yourself or loved ones?
    Or b. Be as prepared as you can and have a chance at protecting yourself?
    I personally choose b and have since rotated in my p226 357 sig in lieu of my sw shield. Additional barrel length and velocity of the 357 is a better overall package

(Allegheny County)

Nope.

I still carry a KelTec 380 - if I'm even carrying at all.
    Now that cool weather is here and I can wear pants instead of shorts, I will probably carry my Shield when I can.
    Not because of Jihad though = just because it makes more sense than a P3AT.

My bigger concern is that I sold my shotgun and now I learn that we have coyotes in the area killing dogs.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

I've only changed up(back in August) because my other hip-carry pieces were heavy. I went to a lighter weight single stack poly 9mm.

I still carry my pocket pieces from time to time as need/venue/events require.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast