Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Anybody Changing Carry Gun Due To Recent Activities?

I've only changed up(back in August) because my other hip-carry pieces were heavy. I went to a lighter weight single stack poly 9mm.

I still carry my pocket pieces from time to time as need/venue/events require.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

If one encounters an isis or al-queerda Mumbai or Paris type attack a pistol will only be of limited use so I tool up further in my vehicle and home.

I have heard about 12 years ago in my small town the FBI uncovered a plot involving my town with an al-queerda sympathizer they arrested in NYC. They had a whole map of my town with a detailed plan of what they were going to do. I never heard if they had actually started to put their plan in place but it reminds me that actually many of these rural towns could be targeted by these wackos. If you think about it, a huge swath of rural PA doesn't have heavy police coverage so if something major goes down it's going to be hours for the state of PA to respond with whatever they've got. Hence we are on our own and heck even my own sheriff told me that. Whether it's a home invasion or al-queerda, in this sparse rural area, ain't no one coming to help you for a while.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    I disagree. It's all a matter of the what if scenario. Would you rather a. Decide to not carry, and if shit goes down, forever regret not being able to defend yourself or loved ones?
    Or b. Be as prepared as you can and have a chance at protecting yourself?
    I personally choose b and have since rotated in my p226 357 sig in lieu of my sw shield. Additional barrel length and velocity of the 357 is a better overall package
    That’s what I was getting at in a round about way

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    I disagree. It's all a matter of the what if scenario. Would you rather a. Decide to not carry, and if shit goes down, forever regret not being able to defend yourself or loved ones?
    Or b. Be as prepared as you can and have a chance at protecting yourself?
    I personally choose b and have since rotated in my p226 357 sig in lieu of my sw shield. Additional barrel length and velocity of the 357 is a better overall package

We all have to make the choices that suit us, of course. For me, it's a matter of where do I stop? Why don't I just drive around in a tank all day?

Statistically, I don't need to even carry a gun. However, I've decided, for myself, that carrying a gun and spare mag is prudent.

I understand why one would choose to escalate their carrying, I just personally am not because of the exponentially reducing odds of those events, as pointed out in another post. I can't prepare for everything that might happen to me in life, and I set cut offs based on odds.

Headlines don't trigger an escalation for me.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Why don't I just drive around in a tank all day?
    I would.

(Venango County)

From an individual's perspective, statistically, it is unlikely that any single one of us will have the need for a firearm.

However, from a population standpoint, it is much better to have 18% of a population carrying than 3%. In those terms, random chance that something or someone commits a violent crime and a gun carrier is the victim or can intervene is much greater.

ETA = To answer the question, I just finally bought a smaller 9mm. I now carry it more often than my .32 Tomcat. However, I seldom carry my .357 revolver anymore due to its 6" barrel and weight which is bulky but I sure do like the firepower of the round even if only six plus two speed loaders. Lots of noise as a psychological edge too, lol. So I have changed but only to a medium compromise gun.
    Last edited by TaePo; October 23rd, 2017 at 11:16 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

Not changing carry gun but carrying more often.

I can never get close enough to hit a coyote with a shotgun, they are pretty Wiley around here

You should always carry what you are comfortable carrying 24/7. You never know when you will need it so best be prepared. I remember one time I was flying back to Philly and figured I did not need to check my firearm as I had a firearm from both at my departure and at my destination for my use. The only time I would be unarmed would be in the taxi or limo service. At PHL I got my bag and went to get ground transportation and a black man wearing a chauffer limo driver uniform told me that for the same price or less than a cab I could take a limo. He led me to a Caddy parked in the parking lot. I was half asleep from and got into the vehicle which was some old piece of shit beat up Caddy with ripped up seats. It was a Gypsy cab and I could have been in bad trouble. Nothing bad happened but things could have not gone so well. So now I carry everywhere I can legally carry and then some.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I keep a rifle in my trunk since San Bernardino. Pistol and a reload gets me to the car, hopefully. If I've got my kids, we are leaving. If I'm alone, I'm gearing up, because fuck these assholes. I do have concern about being mistaken for a badguy, but no sense worrying about something you can't control.

Personally, I dont care if you keep a bazooka in your truck.
    But I thought in PA driving around and keeping a rifle in your vehicle was illegal.
    Again, I dont know for sure, hopefully someone can clear that up.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast