Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pennsylvania to Kentucky through West Virginia

I went to WV, Echo Valley range, for training, few years back by way of MD that was a white knuckle 15 mile stretch. They were like swarms of insects every mile in every direction with whole bunch of them mobile weaving in and out pulling people over, I think it was labor day weekend or something. I was going 3 miles below speed limit on cruise praying. Never again. Shame of it is I don't think you can get to Echo Valley without going thru MD.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    If the OP lives in Greensburg, KY by way of MD would be a pretty convoluted route!
    Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to that. Your right.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Lol, yeah, it's amazing how GPS is turning people stupid. I bet there are millenials who can't navigate their way out of a paper bag. Anyone who would head east towards Kentucky is too stupid to travel alone.
    You would be surprised. I've trained other so called "professional" drivers that couldn't figure out east and west properly.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    So if going through Maryland, unloaded, separate from ammo, don't stop? But if you do and are caught, game over? I guess no matter what you do, in MD you are no-go?
    Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    IANAL.

Yeah, that's my understanding: no-go to Maryland.

It's also repeatedly been rumored that MDSP like to find reasons to search PA cars where the driver has a LTCF...
    Unloaded and separated. In separate compartments if possible. Your protected under fopa going through md that way. It is a "defense" though and if deputy dumbass wants to charge you, he will. You'll beat it in court.

Ive gone through WV or ohio to kentucky, when going to knob creek. 70 is a long boring ride imo but seems slightly quicker.

(Allegheny County)

IANAL.

Yeah, that's my understanding: no-go to Maryland.

It's also repeatedly been rumored that MDSP like to find reasons to search PA cars where the driver has a LTCF...
    I had to go into MD last year and was carrying. I called the MDSP and asked how to proceed legally. They told me to unload the pistol, put it in the back of my vehicle and put the ammo somewhere separate. I hope and assume that I was given accurate information.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I had to go into MD last year and was carrying. I called the MDSP and asked how to proceed legally. They told me to unload the pistol, put it in the back of my vehicle and put the ammo somewhere separate. I hope and assume that I was given accurate information.
    According to what I know, that is -theoretically- correct according to Federal statute. But IANAL.

Myself, I wouldn't count on the cop that pulls you over and finds the gun knowing that, or abiding by it. Or maybe he'll simply treat it as a 'defense' AFTER you're arrested/detained. It's cold comfort being 'right' a few days later after delays, an arrest, legal expense, etc.

I just stay the "heck" out of MD if at all possible.

Folks may refer to us, sneeringly, as "Pennsyltucky." But the truth remains we're (mostly) a bastion of 2A rights compared to the surrounding (mostly) anti-gun states.
    Last edited by KCJones; October 23rd, 2017 at 06:18 PM.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

Federal Law requirements for FOPA transport protection:

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Note that the Federal protection probably does not apply in your state of origin and destination; it is only useful for intervening states of a continuous trip. If, for example, the destination is MD then you must be compliant with MD state law once you cross their border. FOPA does not require ammo separation (thought I highly recommended separation and unloading magazines). It focuses on accessibility and unloaded firearms.
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 24th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
    IANAL

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    Hi folks I haven't been around in a very long time. I usually do my own research but I am short on time. My wife needs to take a trip to Kentucky to visit a sick friend. She has a PA license to carry concealed. She'll be going through West Virginia and staying in Kentucky for a couple days I am pretty sure Kentucky has reciprocity what about West Virginia? Anything I need to know about our check into?
    https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

WV, OH, KY all good. Careful not to accidentally go through MD. But not a problem if leaving from Greensburg.
    Last edited by SevenMilePete; October 24th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.

(Allegheny County)

According to what I know, that is -theoretically- correct according to Federal statute. But IANAL.

Myself, I wouldn't count on the cop that pulls you over and finds the gun knowing that, or abiding by it. Or maybe he'll simply treat it as a 'defense' AFTER you're arrested/detained. It's cold comfort being 'right' a few days later after delays, an arrest, legal expense, etc.

I just stay the "heck" out of MD if at all possible.

Folks may refer to us, sneeringly, as "Pennsyltucky." But the truth remains we're (mostly) a bastion of 2A rights compared to the surrounding (mostly) anti-gun states.
    I agree and generally do stay out of MD, in spite of it being convenient sometimes to visit from our cabin it Somerset County. I had to meet someone on business and had a gun on me.

The MDSP firearms division employee that I spoke to gave me her name and direct line so I would at least be able point to the person that told me it was legal to enter the state as I did.

(Bucks County)

18 USC §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    The locked container is the critical part in a lot of states if you have vehicle without a trunk. Some guy in NJ was convicted because he was moving thru the state and his firearms were cased in the back seat but not "Locked"

Go out and buy some 3 for a dollar "dollar store" locks. Then lock your container or even connect them to the zipper of a soft case. That should comply with the law.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12