Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Question about Kubaton

Just wondering if there are any legalities I should be concerned about with having one? Just bought one for my wife and I and wanted to make sure they are not illegal to carry. Its the pointed one on the right. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching the forum but nothing came up. If there is a thread on this please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question about Kubaton

AFAIK batons / blackjacks and collapsible batons are not legal to carry in pennsylvania...

(Philadelphia County)

I may very well be wrong, but I think Kubatons are legal to carry. But again, I'm just guessing.

Either way, you bought one of these for your wife...

does she have the training and practice to use it to defend herself??? From what I know, these are to be used in pressure holds and whatnot, which in and of itself requires a great deal of skill to be used in a confrontation.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

They are nice but I would recommend the polymer version. They are a lot lighter and every bit as effective. Message MERCOP about them or find him at the gun show this weekend. No idea about legality, I think they fall a bit into the gray area.

(Carbon County)

Well, I bought it for her to use as a defense against someone grabbing her. not necessarily as a pressure point weapon, but maybe as a jab weapon. I know they require a lot of skill and training if used as a pressure weapon, but my thinking was if someone grabbed her she could jab it into a body point and buy herself a few minutes to get away. Maybe I was wrong in my thinking, but I bought her some pepper spray and she does not carry it. Says she doesn't like the bulkiness of it. We were walking around the Hometown Farmers Market and saw these and she said she would carry it and if need be use it in self defense. Like I said I was thinking along the lines of a jab to the ribs or thigh maybe. Just something to give her a chance to move away. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, it was just a thought. If they are illegal then they will become a $5 paperweight. My wife is a tiny little woman. 4'11". 90 pounds soaking wet, well 97 now that she is 5 months pregnant. It would be very easy for someone to grab her, and I figured that this might be a nice little defensive tool. I plan to get her some self-defense courses after the baby is born. I don't know, maybe I was along the wrong train of thought with this one.

(Montgomery County)

Trust me, the polymer one is jsut as good for jabbing someone as the metal one and will get less police scrutiny because it seems more benign.

Message mercop and have a talk with him, it's his area of expertise

Google safety wrench, google travel wrench. You'll know it when you see it.

Congrats on the baby.

(Carbon County)

I like the travel wrench. may have to look into that. I like the idea that it doesn't look like a self defense weapon. May buy one here soon to check it out. Thanks. and thanks for the congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    ...collapsible batons are not legal to carry in pennsylvania...
    Can you cite the code for this? I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm just curious to see if this is true.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by xd40_jim View Post
    I like the travel wrench. may have to look into that. I like the idea that it doesn't look like a self defense weapon. May buy one here soon to check it out. Thanks. and thanks for the congrats.
    I find that the safety wrench fits my hand better. I have left it lying on my desk and no one in the office said anything. And these are the OMGz he has a knife clipped to his pocket!!! crowd. If anyone ever asks it is clearly labeled safety wrench and it is shaped to give you leverage when using the hex bits and prying.
    I've knocked out the windshield of a car with mine in vehicle tactics class. :-)

(Allegheny County)

I understand you interest in a self-defense product for your wife. I trained in the kubotan many many years ago. It's design and use is more for compliance than for self-defense and requires training to deploy effectively. I would go ahead and make it a paper weight. Revisit the pepper spray idea again, check out Fox Labs for a sleek & effective keychain model.

link: http://www.foxlabs.com/
    Last edited by Hawk; September 18th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast