Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Privilege

Default Re: Privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Lol my Doesn’t Know Better Nephew shared a video onFacebook.
    The video is a coach type person getting everyone to line up to race. Then he says “Everyone who’s parents are still together take two steps forward. Everyone that had a father figure in their life take two steps forward”. The camera keeps focusing in on some black guys and girls at the original start looking around.

This goes on I assume until most of the white kids are past the finish line or have a near unbeatable head start. The video is titled something like “Let Me Explain About Privilege”.

The comments were mostly people telling the complaining that we’re not born equal, that everything you have done was through someone else,
    ( You didn’t build that). And so on..

Through the comments I was somewhat understanding of the point of such a video. I understand my nephew posting it. He wears his heart on his sleeve and everything is about fair/unfair.
    I’d be lying if I said these videos and his opinions don’t irritate me. I’ll agree we all have advantages in life but we all have things we can use as an excuse as well. All the things listed by that coach I have no and I don’t think anyone has, a way of quantifying the negative impact it has on a person’s success.

We see all the time, people regardless of the color of their skin that have everything going for them screw it up and lose it all. And we see people that come from absolute nothing become successful, the very top even. Two people with identical qualifiers have different results.

For some people all those things yelled out by the coach are what they blame their failures on. I just don’t buy it. A friend recently learned of the Menendez brothers. Two guys of wealth and privilege that are in prison for life.

I really think that in this current climate we or at least the Left is bogged down by so much minutiae such as inventing white privilege and triggers and cultural appropriation. Just being offended by everything and trying to guilt people and minimize accomplishments of the individual spirit. It’s just sad and unproductive. To top it all off if your opinion differs then you are ignorant, not smart enough to understand what they believe are the realities of life. They seem to relish in that they are operating on a higher plane and have grown, progressed and everyone else is just a little smaller than they.

Just my thoughts
    not trying to stir the pot, I’ll just leave this here.
    When I was in sixth grade the few friends I had moved on to jr. high. I started hanging out with the new kids that moved in across the street. The oldest brother had just obtained his drivers license. Sometimes He would take us all for a ride. We got pulled over quite a few times, always for the taillight. I always thought it was so cool, we would get out of the car and get to see a real Policeman up close. It was always an adventure.
    One rainy day we were sitting in my friends living room, their Dad came home. Pop asked us all about our day at school. “We got pulled over again” Pop asked, taillight? Yep.
    I had to ask, why don’t you just fix the light? Pop shook his head laughed at Me and walked away. All my friends laughed out loud.
    I didn’t get the joke. My friends led me to the garage... the taillight was fine.

Sometimes people are treated differently because of color.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    not trying to stir the pot, I’ll just leave this here.
    When I was in sixth grade the few friends I had moved on to jr. high. I started hanging out with the new kids that moved in across the street. The oldest brother had just obtained his drivers license. Sometimes He would take us all for a ride. We got pulled over quite a few times, always for the taillight. I always thought it was so cool, we would get out of the car and get to see a real Policeman up close. It was always an adventure.
    One rainy day we were sitting in my friends living room, their Dad came home. Pop asked us all about our day at school. “We got pulled over again” Pop asked, taillight? Yep.
    I had to ask, why don’t you just fix the light? Pop shook his head laughed at Me and walked away. All my friends laughed out loud.
    I didn’t get the joke. My friends led me to the garage... the taillight was fine.

Sometimes people are treated differently because of color.
    Indeed. Sometimes they are. Or their place on the economic ladder. Or beauty. Or any number of things.
    So what? Use it as an excuse all your life for every negative thing that happens to you? No. It’s 2017 for one thing. For another the majority just don’t care about any of it anymore. By it I mean all the things mentioned and not mentioned. So to try and say there is widespread systematic abuse and holding back for such things is a real stretch.
    Right now I’m poor. Desperately at times. All for good reason. Some I had control, some I didn’t. None was a big conspiracy to put me down. And with hard work and not giving up I can do whatever I want within reason.

I’ve heard those stories before

(Allegheny County)

I work outdoors. I wear shorts and hiking shoes. My legs get sun - my feet never see daylight.
    I came in the room without shoes or socks on and my wife looked at my feet and said "You'r white privilege is showing."

LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I'll get all excited about the misfortune of an entire class of people growing up without fathers, the day that we're allowed to shame the women who created that situation for them. And toss the sperm donors in jail.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Indeed. Sometimes they are. Or their place on the economic ladder. Or beauty. Or any number of things.
    So what? Use it as an excuse all your life for every negative thing that happens to you? No. It’s 2017 for one thing. For another the majority just don’t care about any of it anymore. By it I mean all the things mentioned and not mentioned. So to try and say there is widespread systematic abuse and holding back for such things is a real stretch.
    Right now I’m poor. Desperately at times. All for good reason. Some I had control, some I didn’t. None was a big conspiracy to put me down. And with hard work and not giving up I can do whatever I want within reason.

I’ve heard those stories before
    I have never known anyone that would use It as a lifetime excuse. I’m sure a lot do.

Your point is well taken.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I work outdoors. I wear shorts and hiking shoes. My legs get sun - my feet never see daylight.
    I came in the room without shoes or socks on and my wife looked at my feet and said "You'r white privilege is showing."

LOL
    That's funny.

I had that too recently. I hadn't gotten any sun at all this summer aside from a farmer's tan.

We went tubing on Memorial Day weekend and I kept my sneakers on. I looked like a Hindu got a double foot transplant from a Swedish guy.

Then we went to Florida in October, and it was hot as hell. Spent some time on the beach and burned the fuck out the tops of my feet. I put lots on sunscreen on them too.

At least they match my legs now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12