Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Denied LTCF in Philly. Please help with appeal.

I haven't been able to find many results. a lot of threads started like this that never get updated after the appeals. Hopefully someone can chime in with their experiences.

Seems like it can take anywhere from a month to 6 to have a hearing for the appeal.

My friend appealed his denial. He had some minor stuff I can't recall exactly off hand but when he showed up for his hearing, they didn't even proceed w the hearing and the prosecutor said he could have his license(most likely because his denial was bs). YMMV obviously depending on the situation but I thought I'd share since I know someone who successfully appealed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FranksHungry View Post
    I haven't been able to find many results. a lot of threads started like this that never get updated after the appeals. Hopefully someone can chime in with their experiences.

Seems like it can take anywhere from a month to 6 to have a hearing for the appeal.
    Ill put what happened w me and perhaps it might help someone else. About 2.5 yrs ago now I went through near a years worth of fighting multiple appeals/denials. Took me 6 months just to find out why I was being denied and near another 6 months to have straightened out. Im in Berks county now and as said I kept getting denials but they werent giving me any reason as to why and when I would inquire they would in turn ask me why... It was beyond ridiculous so every time I got an appeal denial letter I would in turn put in another appeal.

Apparently it stemmed from an arrest for fighting I had back in 91 (3rd degree misdemeanor) which didnt invalidate my eligibility. What was happening though was they were only seeing a list of all the initial charges but not the results. They kept requesting the court records from the court house who in turn had records that old stored away in some warehouse. There internal policy was that the court had only so many days to answer the request and if nothing comes back "within that time limit" Im automatically denied.

Considering that since this arrest in 91 I served in the Army not once but twice, had multiple deployments, worked as a correctional officer for the city and also held a LTCF for the last 20-25 years - that this was what I was being denied for honestly wasnt even a thought in my mind. I was thinking more on the lines of Im getting flagged for being rated for PTSD with the VA.

Anyway I still had the problem that everytime I re-appealed they would start the whole request process over and again wouldnt be in there time limits. It got to the point I honestly started harassing them and calling daily trying to find out what/where I could get the damn paperwork myself. I dont know if it was me stating I wasnt letting go or if the lady just finally got tired of me bugging her but then all of a sudden they were able to get my paperwork

Note: Just to add that when they finally reversed my denial, that didnt automatically give me my LTCF - I then had to restart the entire process over once again including paying. This was followed by near a year of everytime I bought a firearm, I had to hand over this denial reversal (letter of shame) to be entered into the background check processes

Your chances are better with a lawyer than without, but you could still prevail on your own if you don't step on any of the land mines.

Philly basically denies everyone if there's a shred of a reason, any imperfection in your application or responses will suffice.

It's a first-stage filter, it eliminates everyone who wasn't all that enthused about carrying legally. The rest appeal.

Your appeal could result in a phone call the day before the scheduled hearing, where someone competent looked at your file and decided that you're not the droids they're looking for, so you can get your LTCF. For a 17 year old arrest or 2, that's a fair possibility.

Whatever you do, don't miss the filing deadline for the appeal. Philly has 1 surprisingly decent difference from every other county, in that they don't have you appeal directly to the Court of Common Pleas (which is more formal and DOES require a lawyer), you appeal to the same folks who hear zoning appeals, which is much less formal. But you could still screw it up, so be careful.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for all the help. I filed my appeal.

They said they only hear cases twice a month, and can only hear 20 cases at a time. That puts my expected hearing date sometime in May or June of 2018.

I should have mail in a few weeks with a date.

Philly really does not want people to carry.

(edit: spelling)
    Last edited by FranksHungry; November 9th, 2017 at 08:24 PM.

(Delaware County)

Sorry what you're going through, but
    Quote Originally Posted by FranksHungry View Post
    Philly really does not want people to carry.
    ^^^^ this is not news...

(Philadelphia County)

I had my appeal today and I won.

The supervisor was there for the gun permit unit and knew the officer who gave me slightly bad info and said “we don’t care about (juvenile) arrests” and was able to validate my story. I explained my arrests and was “issued” my permit. Now I just wait for the letter to come in the mail so I can pick it up.

I went without a lawyer. Most people who were appealing today did not have lawyers. Seemed like 50/50 on approvals but I think most of that had to do with the reason they were denied, not because of representation or lack of.

If you get denied, appeal.

(Berks County)

Dude that is so awesome! Congrats and glad you stuck it out.

(Berks County)

Great job and it's good to hear another DIY story, congratulations.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Good for you, watcha packin now lol?
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast