Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: I don't own an AR. Am I alone?

IMO atleast go buy a lower and have it in the safe, you never when prices will go up. If you never do anything with it oh well they are cheap now, you may flip it down the road for 500% of what it cost today. meanwhile shoot a buddies and see what you like or dont like about that particular model.

(Montgomery County)

We don’t have a dishwasher to clean one. Don’t hate them but I’m into steel and wood weapons

(Bucks County)

You don't need to tinker or accessorize an AR. They work just fine the way they are. If you really don't want to do anything, buy an a2 or an m4 with a removable a2 carry handle. They are so cheap right now, I don't know how you can pass them up.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by paul641 View Post
    We don’t have a dishwasher to clean one. Don’t hate them but I’m into steel and wood weapons
    Mine are almost entirely aluminum and steel. The stock and grip are the only plastic on it.

(Lebanon County)

I have one that I built a couple of years ago. it is the most fun shooting rifle I own. Get what you like and just enjoy it. You don't need to add a bunch of bling or over-complicate it to enjoy it. Some people enjoy getting wrapped up in accessories and magpull this or m-lock that. If you're into that it's ok. You don't need to do that to own one and learn to shoot it well.

I own a couple and they're just safe queens. They're OK, but I don't excited over them, and never have. Not into competitive shooting, buying new doodads to hang off of them, and don't find them particularly interesting to shoot. SHTF? maybe, but not practical for most realistic situations IMO. There is something for everyone in the gun world to be sure.

More to the OP's concerns. The AR market is full of garbage because it's carved out a popular segment, much like archery hunting and the like. Someone new can just look around for hours and get a headache. After a while you learn to walk past all the latest and greatest advertised bull shit and purchase what you intended to buy, then walk out with a bunch more shit.

What qualifies as an AR? I own an AR lower, but the Faxon ARAK upper attached to is not a standard AR. My wife has a KS47, which looks like an AR, but takes AK mags and shoots 7.62x39. If we're talking AR=AR and not AR=AR-type rifle that might use some parts from a standard AR parts bin, then, no, I do not own an AR.

You only get as "bogged down" and overwhelmed with AR choices as you want to be. Nothing wrong with going into a gun shop, picking a rifle you like that is in your budget and buying it. You don't have to change or add a thing to the rifle after you bought it if you do not want to. If you do decide to make changes in the future or want to buy something else there are forums for that occupied with experienced members.

(Bucks County)

A few points I wanted to bring up as to why I haven't been bit by the AR bug yet:

1. I don't think of guns as a good investment in general. There are other places you can spend money and make better returns. Sure nobody would have thought that mosin nagants were ever going to go above 100$, but that is really more the exception. ARs have gone down in price to the point of crazy. As somebody mentioned here, with prices like they are it can be hard not to buy. I don't see the prices going back up short of a ban. And even with all of the current bad press from Vegas, the prices haven't risen. If you need further proof that guns aren't a great investment, look in the classifieds here. Most people are selling at a loss.

2. 100 yard ranges. I live in lower bucks. 100 yards is about as good as it gets. I wish there were longer ranges closer. I'd really enjoy an intermediate cartridge if I thought I was utilizing it closer to its limits. My 22 magnum can do 100 yards for me.

3. I agree that accessories aren't required. I was just trying to illustrate that the market is saturated and knowing a good product from a bad one isn't so obvious. For example (don't actually need an answer) I hear good things about the s&w m&p15 and virtually nothing about Ruger's AR. They are priced pretty close. Additionally, proprietary parts etc etc. Nothing worse than buying something twice because you didn't know better the first time.

4. As another member said, I echo, I am not running competition and most ranges aren't cool with rapid fire around here so I see little advantage to a semi auto that can hold 30 rounds (or more) when I can only load 5 and shoot with a lengthy pause in between each shot. Any bolt gun will do that.

-Zach

I guess I'm a minority here. I own more than most people and it's still not enough.
    9mm, 5.56, 308, 50Beowulf and 50BMG.

I even have a 50 Beowulf AR15 pistol with a 10.5 inch barrel. That will soon be converted to a SBR. It was a handful shooting as a pistol.

I find them to be very enjoyable to shoot. From the indoor range to a 200 yard target, they are fun and accurate. A stock AR15 can outshoot most of their owners.

Buy one, have fun with it, you'll be surprised how well you shoot with it and it will become your favorite range toy.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast