Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Buddy works for DHS in DC and found with lo0se rounds in backpack Advice for him

Does he have a DC permit to own the 357? Not a carry permit, just a "registration"
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Buddy works for DHS in DC and found with lo0se rounds in backpack Advice for him

No, he lives outside the city in one of the surrounding areas

(Fayette County)

Are they pursuing criminal charges, or is this just being handled by H.R.?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Bucks County)

He is waiting to see.

(Bucks County)

If he is not charged criminally, he may be shown mercy by his employer- I have heard recently that secret and top secret clearances are in the 30 to 50 thousand dollar range.
    Not cost effective to flush a good employee and his expensive clearance over a dumb mistake.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    If he is not charged criminally, he may be shown mercy by his employer- I have heard recently that secret and top secret clearances are in the 30 to 50 thousand dollar range.
    Not cost effective to flush a good employee and his expensive clearance over a dumb mistake.
    Yeah thats what I was thinking.
    If its handled by HR, I would expect some disciplinary actin, but being fired?
    I dont think its likely. Ive worked for government contractors before and most (not all) the higher ups are former military and usually "gun guys".
    Lets just hope there's not some crazy code of conduct written about ammunition alone.
    My company has a "no firearms" policy on company property.
    Yet I sold a case of ammo and some magazines on property to one of our HR managers and nobody batted an eye.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

His defense would be "I don't have an X-ray machine or metal detector at home, so I had no idea they were there."

Plus, he didn't have a gun with him, but if local statutes forbid any ammo, that's not a good defense.
    If memory serves:

DC prohibits possession of any ammunition or ammunition components (even an empty .22 case or an unloaded sabot for a black powder rifle) for which you do not have a firearm registered in DC. As a non-resident of DC it is unlikely he has any firearms registered in DC, therefore he is prohibited from possession thereof. Unless his name's David Gregory...

IANAL

(York County)

Plus, he didn't have a gun with him, but if local statutes forbid any ammo, that's not a good defense.
    DC does, you’re only allowed to possess ammo in the caliber of your “registered firearm”, and not outside of the home at that unless going to/from the range.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Yeah thats what I was thinking.
    If its handled by HR, I would expect some disciplinary actin, but being fired?
    I dont think its likely. Ive worked for government contractors before and most (not all) the higher ups are former military and usually "gun guys".
    Lets just hope there's not some crazy code of conduct written about ammunition alone.
    My company has a "no firearms" policy on company property.
    Yet I sold a case of ammo and some magazines on property to one of our HR managers and nobody batted an eye.
    If it's a police matter, which, technically, it is (he broke DC law) and he's convicted he will lose his clearance. Don't know how complicit DHS HR bureaucrats want to be in not reporting a "crime." Tough situation brought about by libtard bull shit.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    My buddy is one of those people that if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have luck at all. He works in Washington, D.C. He has a top secret clearance, works for DHS and is in a lot of trouble. He had 6 rds of 357 mag in one of the pockets of his backpack which was picked up by the x-ray scanner he has to pass through going to work. He doesn't know how long they were there, but were not picked up until yesterday. This seems to be a layered kind of problem. He has to worry about prosecution by D,C., then some kind of punishment by DHS, and lastly some kind of administrative action by his contracting company. Since this just happened he is beyond stressing out, and I'm wondering if there is anything that could be suggested that he do to protect himself as much as possible.

This was an incredibly dumb thing to do, and he is fully cooperating with the authorities. Unfortunately, he will probably lose his job and clearance. if he doesn't I will be surprised. Any suggestion? All I can think of is for him to call the NRA and try to get an attorney recommendation.

Your advice to get a name of a lawyer on deck is a good one. I would say no more on here.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast