Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Buddy works for DHS in DC and found with lo0se rounds in backpack Advice for him

No chance for that MMI. This is a little different than being caught by local police.

Default Re: Buddy works for DHS in DC and found with lo0se rounds in backpack Advice for him

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    HR. IS. NEVER. YOUR. FRIEND.
    their job isn't to protect/help you; their job is to protect/help the COMPANY that pays them.
    This is 100% correct. HR's only job is to protect the agency.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    It sounds like he doesn't actually work for DHS but is really a contractor. If he was DHS he may have some protections. Contractors, however; are "at will" employees that work for an agency that is paid to provide a service (anything from janitorial to geospatial intelligence). When a contractor breaks a rule, especially a security violation, they are a concern. This usually results in what is referred to as a derog report (short for derogatory). Derog reports can be generated over mundane events such as bouncing a check for rent. Unfortunately this is a process that needs to happen. The 2013 Navy Yard shooter, Aaron Alexis, would not have had his job at the time of the shooting if his supervisors had done their job and filed derog reports. I totally get that you trust your buddy but he took on a higher level of responsibility when he accepted a job with a TS clearance. He had one job that morning and he screwed it up... that job was gaining access to his work location without presenting as a security risk.
    For all those that will come back at me that this "security risk" is bullshit.... This is real. Real world events have proven that those wishing to commit to bad acts will perform test runs. From a security management perspective this is a classic probe of security. Terrorists and criminals will start out slow and small such as trying to get a knife, ammo, toy gun, pepper spray, etc... through the security checks. They try with items that they think can be easily explained away. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I left that empty Glock mag in my backpack". Lazy/undertrained/uneducated security guards will buy into the excuse. They may confiscate the item but all too many times they let the violator go.
    Four years ago there were a whole lot of people on PAFOA asking how Aaron Alexis managed to get a shotgun onto the Wash DC Navy Yard. He took it in piece by piece and round by round over multiple days. He did this intentionally so if he was searched the security guards may miss the item or not recognize the significance.
    I'm sorry to hear your friend got jammed up but he should have been more careful. He accepted a job in a work environment that inspects bags. He got complacent and they caught the ammo. The guard that found this deserves some praise. Sure, he/she was performing their job and it's a pretty basic task. For those that have never performed a body search, worked a magnometer or an x-ray I will tell you it isn't as easy as you think. There are hundreds of places to hide items and lots of ways to mask metal signatures. An x-ray (if that was used in this case) is one dimensional. Trying to find stuff in an x-ray image is like trying to read the pattern on a ceramic plate covered in spaghetti.
    Like most of us here I spend a lot of time reloading, at the range, or walking the aisles of the gun shows. 90% of my days involve carrying a bag with some kind of shooting related stuff. I have a recurring dream that I go through the security line at the airport and some minimum wage TSA screener finds one of my handguns from a recent range trip. Trust me when I tell you I spend a lot of time inspecting every single corner of my bags when I'm packing for a flight or planning a stop at any number of military installations I find myself at for work. If I don't I'll be that guy worrying about losing my clearance, my commission, my job, the weapon/ammo, and an endless list of other unpleasant business.
    I'm with MT1 on this one.
    I don't agree with the DC laws, but working in a secure government building requires your extra attention.
    In Hawaii they can prosecute you for finding empty brass in your pants cuff anywhere on the island except to and from the range.
    DC is no better.
    When I lived in Hawaii I took a class and studied the rules and made damn sure to follow their stupid laws.
    If I was working in DC I would know the DC laws top to bottom and follow them to the letter.
    If I was still working in a secured location I would do the same.
    Your friend needs a lawyer yesterday.
    I am sorry for his trouble, and I wish him the best.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'm with MT1 on this one.
    I don't agree with the DC laws, but working in a secure government building requires your extra attention.
    In Hawaii they can prosecute you for finding empty brass in your pants cuff anywhere on the island except to and from the range.
    DC is no better.
    When I lived in Hawaii I took a class and studied the rules and made damn sure to follow their stupid laws.
    If I was working in DC I would know the DC laws top to bottom and follow them to the letter.
    If I was still working in a secured location I would do the same.
    Your friend needs a lawyer yesterday.
    I am sorry for his trouble, and I wish him the best.
    I have to reluctantly agree. Nearly every job I ever had there were important (if often nitpicky) rules you had to follow. Examples:

-Head of Marketing at a jewelry company: jewelry was the 'ammo' there. Bring NO jewelry in or out, not even a wedding band.

-Head of Marketing at an investment bank: get permission before trading a stock.

-CMO at a semiconductor company: Don't use your company email even just to say "hi" to a friend at a competitor. You could even have some 'splainin to do if a friend at a competitor emailed YOU... and you better be able to show an immediate "please do not communicate with me" response.

-Sell on Ebay: Know the rules or you'll get hammered 100 different ways.

Etc.

This is little different, except it involves BOTH employment requirements AND gun laws. Both of which are things one should know thoroughly and adhere to rigorously.

OTOH, I do have sympathy for an "oh crap!" moment...

I once rode with a friend of mine down to pick up someone we both knew at BWI airport and I later learned he forgot to leave his pistol at home. He apparently remembered it was in the console, loaded 'n locked with a spare loaded magazine too... about the time he left BWI heading back home. He was absolutely paranoid the whole time (for good reason, knowing that MD cops supposedly have a tendency to find reasons to search any PA car they pull over where the driver has a LTCF). I did wonder why a normally 'spirited' driver drove like a granny the whole way back. He later said he's pretty sure his heart only started again when he crossed the state line into PA... which is when he told me the situation. I was torn between being pissed off that he put me in a potential 'accessory' situation, and thankful he'd had the sense to say nothing so I could legit claim no knowledge.

If he'd been busted, he would have lawyered up asap. But admits it woulda been his own fault, knowing full well MD gun laws.
    Last edited by KCJones; October 21st, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    DGAF

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Like most of us here I spend a lot of time reloading, at the range, or walking the aisles of the gun shows. 90% of my days involve carrying a bag with some kind of shooting related stuff. I have a recurring dream that I go through the security line at the airport and some minimum wage TSA screener finds one of my handguns from a recent range trip. Trust me when I tell you I spend a lot of time inspecting every single corner of my bags when I'm packing for a flight or planning a stop at any number of military installations I find myself at for work. If I don't I'll be that guy worrying about losing my clearance, my commission, my job, the weapon/ammo, and an endless list of other unpleasant business.
    Any bag that I use for guns, ammo, targets, etc, etc, etc, ... WILL NEVER BE USED FOR OTHER PURPOSES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Armstrong County)

Local laws typically do not apply on Federal property, as federal property is not considered part of the state.

Last I recall, there is no CFR or law that prohibits ammunition from being brought onto federal property, for unofficial use.

There is probably an IM or memo somewhere for your friend's agency. Actually, considering he/she works for DHS, there most certainly is.

If anyone has ever worked for the federal government, they would know it is damn near impossible to get fired from the federal government. I know someone that not only brought a loaded firearm onto federal property, but put it to two individual's heads..... still didn't get fired.

If he/she is a contractor..... might get in trouble then.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    Since these ass hats can't catch actual bad guys they make their own, in a perfect world the screener would of said "ASSHOLE" go to your car and clean you bag and bring me a coffee or your in deep shit. In this day and age they will slam honest mistakes at every opportunity.
    Obviously the screener is the bigger asshole....just following orders ya know.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I know someone that not only brought a loaded firearm onto federal property, but put it to two individual's heads..... still didn't get fired.
    I would be very interested to hear that story.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I know someone that not only brought a loaded firearm onto federal property, but put it to two individual's heads..... still didn't get fired.
    What was this person doing, playing Eeny, meeny, miny, moe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Indiana County)

Rule Number One - Gun and gun stuff goes in range bag, other stuff goes in other bag. Never, ever mix the two.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast